Just a note: while there's "no fees" the difference between the BUY rate and the SELL rate is the bank/company's profits. The profit can come from the buy rate, sell rate or both. A number of converters will have good rates for BUY but bad for SELL... and vice versa. It's really up to research and knowing before-hand as to where has the best exchange rates. When you exchange at a bank, you're immediately using the rates that they set. The ATMs at convenience stores would most likely have worse rates.

By Australian law, you're allowed to take out $10,000 (or equal value) of cash without any real paperwork. The last rate I was quoted while in Japan was 55yen to the dollar while I was offered 58.3 from an Australian shop. The Japanese post office and service is a private operation (as part of the long term plan of reducing the country's debts) so it's naive to think they'll give you the best rates.

Your credit cards also offer convenience but the price does come from the rates. Last I recall, AMEX had pretty bad rates but if you're using your AMEX, I don't think the few yen difference per dollar is much of a concern razz.

SHORT VERSION:

Cash is better value but more effort and work. Credit cards are convenient but not always accepted and doesn't give the best value. Bank cards are a middle ground but you should be mindful of where you are exchanging your money.

If you have the time and the access, I'd recommend finding a good conversion shop and doing it there before leaving for Japan (particularly since the AUD is more likely to keep dropping when you get there).

Well the rates I have always got using my cards have pretty much matched the TT rates which are way better than the BUY rates. The research I've always done has pointed to buying $$$$(or Yen) in oz a more expensive exercise.

Just dont use citi bank jp ATM cards os as they change from jpy - usd - the currency you want and get charged comm 2 times in the one trans.

Bank TT rates are better than the note rates, that doesn't necessarily make them good rates. You can find a lot of independent exchanges that do better rates than both.

If you have large figures, then it's best to go by bank and you can negotiate at the branch.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be just a little off topic but for what you buy in Japan at the moment with the current exchange rates, for example a can of coke or a beer. Would it be roughly the same, better or worse, when compared to what you would pay for that product in Australia?

no....definitely in comparison to the UK.

1 UK Pound = roughly 130yen

1 pound could get you a can of coke and a snickers with perhaps pennies left over, but 130 yen over here would barely get you the can of coke

Not sure what things cost in Aus, but in Japan, a 350ml can of Coke at a vending machine will run you about 120-150 yen, and a 350ml beer at a convenience store will run you around 350-450 yen.

Look online for the current yen - $AUD exchange rate and do the math.

Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: VeryNice
yeah, ahh, that doesn't really help me much mate, sorry. Any aussies able to help with this one..?

yeah it does, 130 yen is the benchmark (it'll get you a can of coke). Find the exchange rate in AUD and then see if you can buy a can of coke for it thumbsup

Yeah Ezorisu's post was more on the money towards the response I was after.. Sorry Tubby but you were a little unclear and a little confusing, with your first post.

I understood your conversion "1 UK Pound = roughly 130yen" I know what the AUS JPY exchange is but when you wrote "130 yen over here would barely get you the can of coke" wasn't a definitive answer, well not for me anyway, either it does or it doesn't, don't know how big your margin is with 'barely' but in your last post its a definite 130 yen for a can of coke.

So it's a little cheaper over there but not by much. Sorry if that comes across bad, I don't mean it to be, I'm appreciative of the help, just wanted to let you know where the translation was lost.

Cheers!

So VeryNice, how much is a can of Coke in Aus then? Coming from The States, I find that this particular commodity is more expensive in Japan than in The USA - I haven't bought a can recently, but the last time I got a 500ml bottle, it was around $1 USD (about 111-yen at 90-yen/$1USD). American beer is definitely cheaper than Japanese, but it isn't good!

and you'd better budget a lot more.

850 for a pint in a pub,

900 for a pint in Kogen mess hall

700 for a pint at 308

600 for a mug at Ace hill

The beers have gotten a whole lot more expensive while still tasting the same.