Just got in off the hill - Grand Hirafu side.

Continuous snowfall throughout the day combined with a very strong wind event = inbounds slab avalanches occurring on steeper slopes and convex rollovers.

Skier-triggered and natural releases.

Saw the face under the Ace #2 Quad Lift between towers 15 and 18 release naturally to a crown depth of approx 35cm and a width of approx 50m that ran for approx 300m. These are all guestimates from the chair.

Also experienced slab releases of approx 30-50cm in depth on Super Ridge as I was ski cutting the steeper faces. Didn't travel a great distance due to tree anchors.

New snow not bonding well to the sun crust from the past week's sunshine.

Snow and wind forecast to continue through the night and into tomorrow.

Not to come across as melodramatic but there is a serious potential for death during and after this storm.

Individuals accessing closed and/or steeper terrain MAY suffer injury from the snowpack releasing and carrying them into obstacles - trees, lift towers.

And in my opinion there is the potential for burial and death from asphyxiation if skiers/riders get carried into and buried in the numerous terrain traps prevalent in and out of bounds.

If you're in the area, please be smart and safe.

It's nuts here today. I took a break at lunchtime and didn't go back out. The winds are just off the hook. Visibility is really bad too, so if you go down somewhere, nobody will see you or be able to hear your anguished cries for help over the howling wind.

Originally Posted By: oblivion
Sounds very dramatic.

Looks like a wild weekend everywhere.

Maybe, maybe not.

This was the avalanche report from yesterday (24th):

"Extreme avalanche hazard in all area today.
The northerly wind that picked up yesterday morning has kept blowing overnight at 20+m/s with a lot snow fall. The slopes were already very unstable yesterday afternoon and are even worse today as a heavy wind-blown snowdrift has kept developing on top of already unstable layer."

As a very conservative estimate I'd say we've had 30 cm of snow in the past 48hrs.

The wind has sculpted this snowfall from a glacial veneer to drifts in excess of 2m in depth. And that's just outside my front door.

Heaven knows what's happened up on the hill.

Only the lower lifts were open at Niseko United yesterday, so while the new snow has had time to begin to stabilise it also has had no skier/rider compaction.

It's currently bluebird in the village which will translate to inexperienced skiers/riders hitting slopes beyond their ability (technique and mountain awareness).

I sincerely hope that ski patrol keeps the gates closed today.

This is not the day for hordes of people to be hiking the peak without the necessary safety equipment.

Or for skiers to be snow ploughing and riders 'falling leafing' the runs off the peak.

EDIT:

It's puking again at 8am. This time with no significant wind.
 Originally Posted By: MikePow
Or for skiers to be snow ploughing and riders 'falling leafing' the runs off the peak.

EDIT:

It's puking again at 8am. This time with no significant wind.

Perfect conditions for a potential accident! Stay safe out there everyone!

Was at Isuichi on Saturday. Was excited as twas my first time at a BIG ski jo. (Largest one ever visited was at Muikamachi Hakkaisan)

Used prefectural discount ticket given by friend excitedly (JPY4200->JPY2900).

Started to rain, snow.. we thought it was fine, and just when we at the peak ready to go down, all hell broke loose.

Needless to say, we jumped in the closest restaurant to warm up and just when we thought it was ok to hit the slopes, they closed the 2nd tier(?) lifts upwards.

Shame, did not get to try the halfpipe. Looking forward to this weekend though. ^_^