New job and how much to expect

Been offered a couple of teaching jobs recently - one of head teacher and the other as a kindergarten teacher and thinking about how much to ask for.

am currently on 310,000 a month and now we are talking about money for the new jobs. How much should I realistically ask for/expect in the new positions?

Am thinking maybe 10% more? Is this too high/low?

Ta for advice

MA from September in 2007 or 08? Personally, I won't settle for anything less than a yearly salary equivalent to the cost of my education. If you haven't finished yet, perhaps they will be willing to pay some of your tuition? A big request here in Japan, but standard practice back in the states.

I don't know how anyone could afford to live with a Master's on 4man.

So a teacher in Japan with a masters should be on:

480man base (40man/month) +

240man bonuses ('6 months of bonus')

-------

720man

Overpaid or reasonable?

I think that's reasonable for an experienced teacher bobby 12. It also depends on the holidays.

Just started Masters middle of last year. Teach ESL & do copy editing at a huge eye clinic.

I get 480man a year including bonuses. Also get housing for only 2man a month & a childcare allowance of up to 5man a month. 36 paid hols + 2 days off a week (don't get National hols). I think it's a pretty good deal.

\:\)

Still struggle though cos Me Tarzan's bar still has loads of loans, my uni course is so expensive and most of my holidays are going on the teaching pracs I have to do.

Still that's all self inflicted ;\)

Originally Posted By: bobby12
So a teacher in Japan with a masters should be on:

480man base (40man/month) +
240man bonuses ('6 months of bonus')
-------
720man

Overpaid or reasonable?

480 man base? Ya mean 40, right?

Thats bout what I am on...so I cant say its overpaid but Im definitely undervacationed shifty.gif

Get with a good JHS/HS/Uni and youre set.

Wow - should work harder for this masters then - get myself into the bracket.

Just deciding now on the masters - either education, linguistics or TESOL. Leaning towards one of the first.

I remember seeing one site (in Japanese) where they explained the salary system for teachers in SHS and IIRC the avarage salary was about 500man/year for a 35 year old. I saw a similar one for city office workers and the salary came to roughly the same amount.

Government salaries are always going to be much lower than the private sector. Also those published salaries don't include things like the subsidised housing & insurance to which public teachers are often entitled so you have to factor in those kinds of benefits too when comparing.