Hello,

I am looking to buy snowboarding equipment in Japan. Do you have any recommendations as to where I might be able to get this. I am based in the Kansai region near Kobe. Online stores that deliver to Japan are also useful. The problem is that my shoe size is 29-30 centimetres and japan

doesn't tend to cater for my biggish feet.

please let me know if you have any advice. I would be very grateful

You can try sportaka Osaka. Its on the midosuji about 5 minutes walk from namba. My friend just picked up a full Oakley 2 piece uni for 22000 yen. Another big one moriyama sports in shiga kusatsu might carry big sizes. That said they will order if you need it.

If you do order a big size, and it doesn't fit, they will generally expect you to buy it nevertheless. This is a good system that benefits everyone.

Er, wait a minute...

So bear in mind that when you order (if indeed your size can be ordered), that you may have to pretend that you'll be delighted to buy something that doesn't fit.

Be prepared to go overseas to buy boots, or failing that, to order from overseas. Good luck.

I put the same question to an Alpen shop clerk, and he told me that they complain bitterly, and are ignored.

He said part of the fault is with the distributors who are not cooperative, and part with the shop management who are slow to spot trends.

Or find the good local shop ie dealer who knows how to fit you. PS I like Alpen for the deals but if you dont know then sure as hell have no clue. If you buy over seas and the equipment goes to crap nobody here will touch it for free.

When ordering make sure a good model of your foot is made. exact sizing is important. At this point in time heading overseas might not be an option either.

Hey "Begbie"

If they don't stock your size, maybe you should try attacking the shop manager with a pool cue.

Otherwise try yahoo auctions

http://list4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/2084032333-category.html?

Click on your size on the left.

A lot of the new stuff is from Japanese guys posting stuff from the US, so expect mucho postage. Dunno if its cheaper from a US retailer, but remember some of them won't ship Burton gear to Japan.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for all your help. much appreciated.

as far as i can gather i have about 5 options:

1) sportaka on midosuji street in osaka

2) moriyama sports - is this in shiga prefecture?? didn't quite get where that one is. clarification would be much appreciated...

3)alpen - this pearler seems to have been mentioned a fair bit. where is it though?

4) going abroad. i'm off to thailand and cambodia this christmas, but last i heard cambodia wasn't a popular snowboarding destination and so it's doubtful that I'll be able to buy equipment there. thais probably have really small feet as well... So, are there any recommendations, other than the rather distant US and Australia, of countries where i could get the equipment?

5) take a pool cue to random shop owners causing general retail devastation. this seems like the easiest option at the moment, although i'm not sure it'd get me any equipment as such...

look forward to more help \:\)

If you really had to go overseas there are some tix around to select US cities (NYC, LA) for around 3 man. Hard to pass up. But I guess that is from Narita anyway. It'll cost you that much just to get there and back. I don't think it would be too hard to get decent equipment in Japan, though you may have to pay a bit more.