Moving Company: Japan to Aus ???

Indo, or perhaps anyone else who has moved from Japan to somewhere else recently, which company did you go with and why? We are moving in a couple of months and need to start looking at a moving company.

Depends on how much stuff you have but the only way to do it for a reasonable cost is to do it yourself just using a port to port shipping company rather than a full service moving company. One of my friends works for one of the big expensive international movers and it costs shed loads. There is a slight possibility she will be at the party this weekend so if she is have a chat to her. If not then PM me with all your questions and I'll ask her.

If you don't have that much stuff then Baggage Express is not as expensive as the main companies cos you do all the packing yourself.

Qantas excess baggage.. exy.

I have found jluggage to be pretty good.

I am shipping my van back (can't put anything in it mad.gif ) so I looked at shipping a container or separately via sea (also checked out qantas for air freight, was about 10man for 70kg)

Measure up a few boxes to get an idea how many cubic metres of stuff you will have. A cubic metre is much bigger than you think so you should be right with 1 or 2 since you don't have all the kids crap that we do!

ps.. yes, stay away from door to door stuff. Pack it yourself, get em to pick it up and get a customs agent to clear it for you in OZ.

miteyak did the container.

costs about 400,000 for a 20ft and you can fit car and a heeeaaap of stuff in.

If I remember he took things like his fridge and all that back, which he said was a mistake as it was cheap for all that in Oz.

BP.. I've had quotes from Art0123 and Nittsu and they have been asking 350-500 just for 3 cubic metres.

J luggage was about 140,000 for the same amount but with you packing it.

We will probably go with them but if you find anything else let me know (and I'LL do the same!)

If you are not attached to it - then sell it and buy again in Aus.

Our relatives relocated from UK to Aus a good few years ago and they used the container thing too. They brought thier PIANO with them, and ALL thier furniture. And then shipped it all back home 5 years later when they realised thier degree's were too specialized to have much scope to teach with variety here.

It cost them a small fortune and it was BIZARRE when we visited them in the UK 2 yrs ago and they had all the same gear as when they lived 15 minutes away!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Indo and mamabear.

Indo, I got a quote from j-luggage that was about what you said. Not exactly sure how many cubic meters we will have, but I think it'll be 3 or less...

Mamabear, we aren't moving that kind of stuff, so no worries about that kind of thing. Just clothes, books, sporting gear, etc.