Sprained ankle: experience getting back to skiing

Howdy,

On cue, three weeks before I head to Hakuba/Nozawa, I sprain my ankle. The doc says "type 2/3". The MRI today will determine which one, but it seems likely I have completely ruptured the outside ligament, and maybe some bad bruising on the top of the ankle (where shin meets foot).

Has anyone done something similar during a ski season, and if so, what was their recovery time.

If it turns out to be type 3, I will forget about it: physio reckons reco will be required.

cheers,

What is the most injury prone sport in Australia?

Netball.

I was playing on an uneven ground, jumped up to catch the ball and came down on a corregated section. Big 'pop' in the ankle on landing.

Noooo!

My brother just did almost exactly same, cept there was s light fracture to one of the bones.

it has been 4 weeks for him (physio 2 times per week). He can now walk, but is heavly strapped.

Stay off your foot at all costs, take whatever anti-imflammatries they give you, and get some physio done.

perhaps when you can start to walk in it, jump in a wading pool, to get your movement back, without the pressure..

I arrive in 2 weeks, and am considerign stoppign squash (I play 2 times a week), just for the reason you have described.

All the best mate, here's hopign a swift recovery...

A bad type II took me 4 weeks until I could get on skis and about 8 until I could hit kickers etc. There was a psychological recovery that took months: everytime I landed an air, I would stomp but only with my healthy right foot. I did twice weekly physio for my recovery. A type III will have you gone for the season. Good luck

Thanks Stuntcok, that fits in with the advice from the physio. Probably best I just forget about skiing and re-route the trip somewhere slightly warmer.......

The GF is devastated - her first big ski adventure.

Originally Posted By: Nothing Out Of Bounds
What is the most injury prone sport in Australia?

Netball.

I was playing on an uneven ground, jumped up to catch the ball and came down on a corregated section. Big 'pop' in the ankle on landing.

Is Netball, basketball just in the other hemisphere? I have been told things change down under. grin.gif
 Originally Posted By: Stuntcok
A bad type II took me 4 weeks until I could get on skis and about 8 until I could hit kickers etc. There was a psychological recovery that took months: everytime I landed an air, I would stomp but only with my healthy right foot. I did twice weekly physio for my recovery. A type III will have you gone for the season. Good luck

I agree with this timescale, perhaps even a week or two more, from experience.

I have sprained my ankles numerous times from skateboarding, so didn't think much of another Type I sprain last November 23rd - indeed it was such a nice day, I just sucked it up and kept skating for another hour. It was a stretch, rather than a tear, and had no swelling, just light bruising of the outside ligaments.
I only gave it 2 weeks rest, and then powder started falling.... so of course it tweaked again jumping off cat tracks into the powder.... so now it has 90% healed after 8 weeks, instead of 100% after 4 weeks.

Give it time to recover... but if you want to ride hard, then give it about the same again to strengthen enough psychologically trust that ankle.

FTs advice of coming in March is a great idea - good chance of powder, better chance of sunshine, fewer people on the pistes. Great time to visit, if you can.

FT - dates are probably only changable to a week or so. Work wont give me the time off otherwise.

Samui - Netball is a bit like basketball, but not the same. Its predominantly a girls game that is played during winter while the boys play football.

Results from the MRI are back:

Type 3, ankle reconstruction required.

The thing is, the physio says I cant make it any worse by skiing, so toughen up and get out there. I'm not too sure of this advice, but will take it if given.

I'm looking at putting it all back by two weeks, so effectively, skiing in four weeks from now.

Am I gambling here?

Anything is possible as JT Holmes was skiing basing within days of a big sprain. That said, skiing on a sprain will not help the swelling diminish and will lengthen the healing time. Also, your ankle will be very very weak. You will unlikely be able to do much but mellow groomers and any bump etc will remind you that you are not healthy. Putting your boots on and taking them off will be painful as well.

speaking from past experience - did the same thing about 8 years ago and didn't listen to the advice. To this day I still get some trouble in my right ankle - better to err on the side of caution on this one.

One season out compared to many with ankle problems is an easy descision to make ;\)

Sounds like a difficult one to make, when you think it will get better. But I know what you mean RobBright. My ankles are perfectly formed and in very good shape \:\)