According to the Green Fascists, It all belongs to them.

Fascists and Nazis all want the world to conform to their world view.

Welcome to the Green World. We are wealthy middle class Europeans. You will conform to my world.

The Fascists were an Italian Political Party. The Nazis were German. Everyone knows that.

The point is their supporters assumed the right to impose their will on the world regardless of the teeny inconveniences of The Law. That is, TB, you can't live your life without some bunch of thugs assuming the right to mug you.

The Greens have the right to drive their boats round and round Antarctica, until the ice caps melt if neccessary. They don't have the right to stop others carrying out their lawful business, and they certainly don't have the right to claim "science" as any kind of motivation when it is plainly political.

Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi
If it was up to me, I would have torpeedoed the Japanese vessel (cept that would leak crap into the ocean).

If it were up to me, if I was the Captain of any ship in open waters and some unidentified ship flying the "jolly roger" on the bowspit bumped me a few times then sent a fast-boat alongside and tried to get persons aboard, I'd call up the Marines with their smallarms and issue the command, "repel boarders!" I'd be perfectly within my rights to do so.

That's why I'm not a Japanese "research vessel" Captain... lol.gif

The Japanese exploit a loophole which is what pisses me off.

I think they could take a certain amount for food without having to hide behind the research BS.

Aussies are on the emotional bandwagon.. Don't get me wrong, I don't support it but it does have a traditional place on the table in Japan.

There was in interesting doco which showed a very good view from all sides and it was very interesting to see that out of all the countries it's only Japan that cop flack for it.

The sea shepard is doing nothing for the cause. If the want to get publicity they should do it in a better way. All we are seeing here is the childish games by the sea shepard and it doesn't help in getting any support from the Japanese. Turns them the otherway.

still though, I don't support it..

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
I don't trust the research either soub, but they do it for research purposes, not as a cover for something else. The results may be useless and dodgy, but that again is a different matter. And yeah, surely other research to counter the arguments could be funded and carried out by those with the money.

Killing an animal, weighing it, testing bits of it, THEN, boxing it in commercial 'wholesale' type cardboard boxes and refrigerating it, ain't research = shallow cover-up for a 'fishing' program.

Come-on lads, if it quacks like a duck! The Japs are doing what they've alway done, use a pathetic shallow excuse to get around the rules, and in the process, lose face and shit a lot of people.

Though they serve their purpose, I'm not for all the Greenie antics.

Additionally, whales are also an economic benefit to other countries in the region, except we use them to attract tourist dollars, not chop-sticks.

That really is a bit oversimplified Subzero. They sell it because that is, in fact, what they have always done with every part of the whale over the centuries that they have been fishing them for whatever uses. Every last little bit of the animal was used, right down to the bones, for various uses including traditional musical instruments. Unlike, all the commercial whaling nations that only took the blubber and more or less threw away the rest. What you just said is another classic example of the oversimplification that the media loves to spurt, and people swallow whole! By the way, just because countries want to make some money through whale watching, does that mean Japan has no right to make money by using them for other purposes? If money is the reason, then Japan also has the right to benefit economically from the stocks assuming there are enough to go around.

Again, I will state, I am against the practice in general, but get sick of all the BS that gets thrown around about the issue.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
According to the Green Fascists, It all belongs to them.

I think some sort of environmental protection is useful. It improves our own living condition, and those of future generations. Of course you may argue: "What have future generation ever done for us?" But I don't see it that way.

ok,

I just read a VERY interesting article, regarding Japan's tradition of eating whales.

it is actually facsinating.. not sure if it is factually correct, but is a hell of a read. Kind-of helps me understand why the Japanese are adament that it remains on the menu (as much as that upsets me).

http://luna.pos.to/whale/jwa_trad.html

Anyhow, I still say that animals should inherit the earth.

Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi

It said:

Because woodcutters in the Kyushu region take only salted whale meat and rice when they go into the mountains, they would also be troubled. They slice the meat and pour hot water over it to make a delicious soup containing a lot of protein and salt. Since their work is very strenuous, the salted whale meat soup replenishes the salt they lose through perspiration. Therefore this soup is indispensable as a source of their energy.

That is wrong. You get enough, usually too much, salt with normal food consumption. You don't have to replace salt. In fact, you don't really need salt. It's written as if there is no other food at all. I wonder if the writer has ever been to a supermarket.
If money is the reason, then Japan also has the right to benefit economically from the stocks assuming there are enough to go around.

Assuming there are enough to go round.

This is the crux of the issue IMO. Japan assumed there was enough Blue Fin Tuna to go around in the 90,s and nearly hunted them to extinction. they would've dissappeared off the face of the earth if not for monitoring agencies like Greenpeace. No more Sashimi for you and no more Sashimi for me

Their over fishing practises are appalling. This has been going on for years.
Some 'honest' omissions here

TOKYO Japan on Monday promised to halve its quota for southern bluefin tuna as punishment for overfishing, but denied allegations it has poached thousands of tons of the endangered species every year.
Under an accord with an international conservation agency, Japan will reduce its annual catch to 3,000 tons for five years starting 2007 from the 6,065 tons it was allowed in 2006, Japan's Fisheries Agency said in a statement.

Sea Sheppard are a bunch of headline grabbing wankers and whales are just swimming meat IMHO.(I'm sick of dodging them in my boat)
lol.gif
I don't trust the research either

Me neither. In 2006 a dead whale got stranded in Germany. The friendly Greenpeace people loaded it on a truck and carried it to the Japanese consulate in Berlin, giving them a unique chance to really study one and do all the research they wanted. But they didn't took it, strange, or?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4627178.stm

Last year, when I lived in Melbourne, I had the Sea Shepard 'pirate boat' Robert Hunter moored around the corner from my apartment and it was a shame to see all the 'dedicated individuals' who clearly had been with the organisation for quite some time just loitering around for months, no purpose, not knowing when they were going to leave, when the ship would be re-registered, when they would get out of Melbourne.

If the Sea Shepard was on organisation protecting the sea, and its members of the same belief, surely there are other issues on the ocean that need attention that could be assisted by these fine individuals.

I am over the whole issue, having to put up with hearing about it every day, the aussie media begging for a story especially when there are much larger issues that communities face within Australia and countries face all over the world...but I guess they aren't going to sell papers.

I don't necessarily agree that killing animals is a good thing either.

Originally Posted By: Kraut_in_HongKong
I don't trust the research either

Me neither. In 2006 a dead whale got stranded in Germany. The friendly Greenpeace people loaded it on a truck and carried it to the Japanese consulate in Berlin, giving them a unique chance to really study one and do all the research they wanted. But they didn't took it, strange, or?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4627178.stm

Oh come on! lol.gif Theatrics at its best! Is an embassy set up for research? (assuming they even wanted to take the bait from the Greenies!)
 Originally Posted By: Indo
What am I going to eat to cut back? Moby dick looks good!

Well, he's got a few good albums, but.....

Somehow I don't think eating moby's dick would last more than one meal lol.gif

Unless you eat it with rice. Then maybe it's two?

Originally Posted By: Indo
Mantas.. I'm a guilty part of the over tuna fishing.. My demands are 3 times a week Tuna sashimi.. What am I going to eat to cut back? Moby dick looks good!

Mate, we are all guilty of degradation of the planet in some form or other. All this finger pointing at each other on isolated issues like whaling doesn't do much for the big picture.
  • 4 months later...

So far the visit of The Leader of the World`s Greatest Nation to Japan has failed to make any news here.

Here`s News.com

"Rudd stands firm on whaling

By Maria Hawthorne

June 11, 2008 07:53pm

AUSTRALIA is still considering taking Japan to court over its whaling in the Southern Ocean, with Prime Minister Kevin Rudd denying he has abandoned the plan.

On the eve of his first meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda in Tokyo, Mr Rudd told the Japan National Press Club that legal action was still an option if diplomacy failed to resolve the issue.

New Zealand has dumped plans to take Japan to court after receiving legal advice that such a challenge was doomed.

Last weekend, Mr Rudd also appeared to be signalling a softening on legal action, focusing on diplomatic efforts in the lead-up to this month's International Whaling Commission (IWC) meeting in Chile.

But today he said there was no change in the Australian Government's position.

"We have simply said for the period ahead that we'll be working with our friends in Tokyo on diplomatic solutions to this outstanding agreement," Mr Rudd said.

"Let us look constructively and positively about what might emerge from (the IWC) meeting and further bilateral discussions between us on this important matter.

"Let's hope that diplomacy works. But you are wrong to characterise our policy as having changed ... in terms of abandoning any possible legal course of action. We simply believe that the best way forward right now is to seek to resolve this matter diplomatically."

Mr Rudd said he knew that whaling was a sensitive issue in Japan, but said Australia and other countries also had strong views.

"The value of diplomacy is precisely that - that you can work things through quietly behind closed doors and see if there is a way through," he said.

"It's tough, it's difficult, it's complex, let's not pretend that it's not - it is.

"But in a disagreement among friends, let's hope that diplomacy works.

"And let's hope also that if diplomacy doesn't work that we can prosecute our differences still in an atmosphere of friendship."

The Australia-Japan relationship was important to both countries, but democracies were always going to have different views on different things "and this is one of them".

"But I'd much rather we were free peoples able to arrive at those different positions rather than anything else," Mr Rudd said.

He declined to outline the Australian Government's legal advice on the likely success or otherwise of a challenge.

The relationship between the two countries has been strained over the past six months after Australia sent a vessel to gather evidence on Japanese whalers and released footage apparently of a slain mother and calf being hauled from the water. "

Queenslanders: continue to watch your tourist industry decline due to insulting children on school exchange visits. Australians don`t forget to keep deforesting the bush, pouring water on rice and cotton while promoting salination, and presiding over the World`s most rapid extinction of the greatest amount of species. Remember: Blame the Japanese thumbsdown