Just finished my first base repair job. I ran over a tree stump in the powder at Naeba last weekend. Yeah, it was not visible. I did not fall, either.

Anyway, I stripped and cleaned the board, prepared the base for the repair. It took me about 4 PTEX Candles to almost get it back to perfect. I still notice the big a$$ gash, but I think I am just being too critical.

So, I did the Base Prep wax thing with the Swix stuff. 3 coats. It is a soft wax. Goes on very easy and smooth, cleans up well with scraping.

Then, I decide to add the special wax coating, the -6 to -12 stuff since I am going to Niseko this weekend. That stuff is a pain in the ass to get into the board. The packaging told me to put the temp at 140C. I think I was ironing my board for damn near 30 minutes before I had the wax melted in and covering the entire surface area. Let it cool for about 30 minutes. Sharpen the plexi scraper and go to town. More suck. Much more muscle needed to get the hard wax off and had to work in much smaller sections at a time.

The base looks pretty now, but damn I do not like waxing with the hard wax. I might just get lazy and stick with a soft base wax as my everyday, everytime wax.

That harder stuff is harder to scrape and brush! I use Toko, and same deal - the hard, extremely cold "blue" stuff is a pain, so I usually don't go past the "red".

Do you use waxing paper? If not, try that - you'll get a thinner, more even coat of wax that's easier to scrape afterwards.

If you go to swixschool.com, they have videos that show you how to use it (thanks FTs for pointing this out originally). I haven't looked at the boarding section, but if it's not there, look at ski -> sport -> glide waxing and it has the paper/iron combo. Process should be identical for boards I reckon.

i recently switched to Hillbilly wax, a biodegradable soy wax from Canada. And it has a higher melting temp as well. It comes in a few different flavors, including a super-hard wax made specifically for park and pipe. Its a bitch to put on, but at the same time it lasts a little longer than softer waxes, so you don't have to do it as often.