Greetings everyone for the new year - haven't posted for a long time but I'm back.

And so's the SNOW. So good to see such a dumping out here.

Mizuho's had over 100cm drop up top and it's still -5c max. So heading off for a few days tomorrow with the wife & kids.

If anyone else is venturing out for not so common Shimane powder, and you see a BIG grin skiing with 2 billy lids say H'lo.

Gotta celebrate this fall. Wouldn't be dead for quids.

Back from from 4 days of pretty sweety stuff @ Mizuho & Tenguston. Perfect timing. All courses open, dry snow and not crowded altho don't know about Mizuho today - went to Tengu for the morning. Stayed in a nice, cheap Onsen to top it off.

If you can get your timing right definitely a nice area to spend a coupla days or more.

ThunderP: You're not quite near Shimane are you. But you're not so far from Miyazaki. They've got a ski jo which may be a quick fix if you're hanging out for a slide.

And howz Island life suiting you? It seems pretty idyllic if that's what you want - probably suit me. What attracted you to there?

Ger; Wow - you lived in Sakaide for 4 years. Near the Land of the Gold Tower? I've been in Takamatsu for 12 years - OMG!!! Perhaps I saw you around the Takamatsu haunts a few years back. Did you enjoy living there? Did you get out to the slopes much then?

Back to work tomorrow - have to plan the next venture to keep the sanity levels manageable.

Originally Posted By: snobee

ThunderP: You're not quite near Shimane are you. But you're not so far from Miyazaki. They've got a ski jo which may be a quick fix if you're hanging out for a slide.
And howz Island life suiting you? It seems pretty idyllic if that's what you want - probably suit me. What attracted you to there?

Don't want to hijack your tread, so i'll try to make it short.
I am not near any snow, but i figures that Shimane would be the closest descent snow i could drive to.

Miyazaki and Kagoshima have "Yeti style" resorts (low quality) and maybe i'll go this season, but money is a real issue down here.

My wife and i moved down here just 3 weeks ago to escape the busy Shizuoka waves and it's hard working culture.

I knew that my frequent trips to the snow would be a thing of the past, which is all right. I must admit that it is really hard for me to log on to snowjapan these days. I crave snow. looking at Tsonda cruising on his board in that other tread (too lazy to link to it) made only things worse, damn you ;). I still know that we made the right decision, and we are both happy with it.

We have bought our own business down here, and have rented a really old house. Rent is 5000 yen pr month \:\)

The island and the ocean here is so beautiful. The place is littered with world class surf breaks and crowds are non existing.

Salary is very low here, jobs are few and food and shopping in general is very expensive. The community is very tight, everybody knows who you are, so you have to be really careful what you are doing here.

We have invested all our money (and some of my mother's) in our new business, which is running quite well already, so i hope i will be able to make some trips to the snow. If not this season then defiantly next season.

If everything goes well both my wife and i will be able to live well from the profit while only working 6 hours every evening. That should leave lots of time to get in the water.

Uhh it was not that short, but if you made it this far, thank you for reading \:\)
 Originally Posted By: snobee

Ger; Wow - you lived in Sakaide for 4 years. Near the Land of the Gold Tower? I've been in Takamatsu for 12 years - OMG!!! Perhaps I saw you around the Takamatsu haunts a few years back. Did you enjoy living there? Did you get out to the slopes much then?

Yep, near the gold tower. I did three years on JET there. Sakaide is truly one of the most unattractive cities I've ever seen but there were some good perks and I took full advantage of the situation on the JET program.
We probably know lots of people in common. You might have known some of the more visible JETs, like Aussy Caroline. I don't hang out with too many people from Kagawa anymore but I see people like Canadian Sean once in a while at hockey tournaments.

I used to hit Hachikita in Hyogo a lot. Great place if you can avoid the crowds. Daisen and Geihoku a couple of times too.

Hey Bushy - good to see you're as active as ever. Haven't posted for a long while. I'll Post if going your again - maybe a chance to catch up.

ThunderP - sounds like you made a positive lifestyle decision , which may be out of the comfort zone - intitially at least. Moving on often requires relinquishing a hold on something, and in your case boarding often. But nice gains though it seems. Good luck with it all.

Hiroshima/Shimane not too far away though.

Ger - Canadian Sean - I know him well. Didn't mix with the JET crowd much esp after getting married. Yes - re Sakaide not a particularly outstanding bit of suburbia - much like most of the new sprawl anywhere. Nice bridge tho' eh???

Fine bridge. Must have been really inconvenient before that was built. thumbsup.gif to the 'marine-liner' train route.

....Good luck down in Tanegashima, TP. Sounds like a nice life-style change.

I used to hit Hachikita in Hyogo a lot. Great place if you can avoid the crowds. Daisen and Geihoku a couple of times too.

good stuff Ger sounds like this year will be good there( H KITA)- has reminded me to check the site- cheers

Headed out to Mizuho today with BPG. The snow was non-existent where they had not been pumping the snow making machines. Except for right up on top which was crusted in white and quite beautiful. Here are a few pics.

bushpig_129.jpg

bushpig_128.jpg

bushpig_126.jpg

bushpig_125.jpg

bushpig_124.jpg

bushpig_123.jpg

bushpig_121.jpg

Had some fun in the park. BPG hit the small kicker with me for the first time, and was getting some confidence to jump. Might post a vid if I can get it online.

yep, it was beautiful up there Tsonda. But it was weird. It was literally only like that right up on the peak of the resort/mountain. Then nothing, not even snow on the ground, below a certain level. Just suddenly disappeared.

• SnowJapan Admin

Thats right! Thanks for posting \:\)

If you associate "tags" with the video (like where it is etc) it will be linked up well within the tv site. (For example some vids have tags like "hokkaido niseko snowboard powder" etc. Let us know if you want help with doing that.