SnowJapan (Sticker / T-shirt / Beanie) Design Competition

• SnowJapan Admin

SNOWJAPAN.COM DESIGN COMPETITION

Fancy coming up with a cool design that might be used on an “official” SnowJapan sticker, t-shirt or beanie?

We’re looking for the best idea, not the best designer as such. The winning design may well be something simple, but definitely something that would look great on a sticker or a t-shirt or a beanie. Designs don't need to be "perfect". An idea you have (but can't develop to perfection) might be really excellent.... please submit it. We do have designers on hand who might be able to 'clean up' a design.

----------------------------------

THE GUIDELINES

The only requirement for design itself is we ask that "SnowJapan" and maybe also the letters "SJ" are incorporated into the design somewhere and for it to be something that would look good (and visible) on a sticker, t-shirt and/or beanie.

The main font we use in our site design (ie. the one below) is called "Alexis".

snowjapanforumsgif.gif

Once we have a design, we will then decide on what and whether to make any merchandise.... we'll need a certain number of orders in order to go ahead with it all. There is no guarantee that we will be making stuff, but if there is demand we will be happy to go ahead.

And also of course that it’s a great design that fellow SnowJapan members would be more than happy to brand themselves with!

Design Specs:

The design will ultimately need to be submitted in one of the formats below. If you can, please make your designs using these guidelines. However, at this stage we would prefer to accept designs as basic jpg/gif files rather than being sent huge source files (keep those for later!)

The specs of the FINAL DESIGN will need to be as follows:

--- 300dpi- 600dpi;

--- Clear background;

--- CMYK;

--- 4 colors max.;

--- no photos.

Acceptable File Formats:

--- TIFF, EPS, JPEG, PSD (300 - 600 dpi)

--- Both Mac and PC formats are acceptable.

However, at this stage of the process, please send the design on to us as a clear high quality jpg/gif file (rather than sending on huge source files)!

HOW TO ENTER:

That’s really simple.

Please send us your design to this email address editor@snowjapan.com with "SJ Design" as the subject line.

We’ll let you know that we have received it.

Please try not to send us huge great big massive source files - a large, clear jpg/gif will be sufficient at this stage.

DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES:

Please send in your designs by 11th January 2008.

(If this deadline date causes rioting in the streets, this may change - it depends on how things go and any feedback we get.... but we will let you know in advance if we do plan to change it.

PICKING THE WINNER:

There will be 2 excite steps:

STEP 1)

First of all, we will create a page on the site that displays all of the designs that have been submitted and approved by us ("us" being SnowJapan). At this initial stage, we plan to choose designs submitted that:

a) we would be happy to have on merchandise representing the site;

B) we feel have a decent chance

We’ll then ask Forum members to vote for your favorite three designs in order of preference.

STEP 2)

The 3 designs with the most votes in the first stage will go on to the GRAND FINAL. Well, hopefully it will be grand anyway. That will be held here on the Forums – all forum members will be able to vote on a Poll. The design with the most votes will be the winner!

IMPORTANT NOTICE & OTHER DISCLAIMER STUFF:

All submitted designs should be original in nature.

Any designs similar to any other copyrighted images will not be accepted.

All entrants understand that their designs may be used by SnowJapan.Com on stickers or other merchandise and maybe even on the website, as SnowJapan.Com sees fit. As such the winning entrant understands that by entering the above mentioned competition waives all copyright ownership. Thus mentioned copyright ownership and the selected design will become property of SnowJapan.Com. The prize is not monetary - it’s the immense pride in your design being used and the incredible popularity it will bring you! (You'll also no doubt get a bunch of freebies from us though as well).

We reserve the right to change any of the above details, close down the site, or do anything else we want (especially if people start moaning). ;\)

If all the designs are embarrassingly rubbish, and we decide not to make any stuff, there won't be a winner!

These guidelines are subject to change. Any comments or suggestions please let us know... we are doing this for everyone and so feedback is always welcome.

GOOD LUCK! We're hoping to see some really great designs. Let's Designing!

Originally Posted By: SJForums

DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES:
Please send in your designs by 18th January 2008.
(If this deadline date causes rioting in the streets, this may change - it depends on how things go and any feedback we get.... but we will let you know in advance if we do plan to change it. Do let us know if you have any strong objections and we might listen to you ;\) )

Thats the same day as my PhD defence, 2 deadlines in one day for me!
Yeah clap.gif

by the way SJF, the T-shirt design should be only front print or both front and back print?
  • SnowJapan Admin

Actually I changed that to the 11th.... thought it might be enough...

T-shirt.... what do you think? I think we should go with "1 design" that could be used on all 3 proposed items. So maybe the t-shirt should just be front any maybe later on we put something on the back ourselves?? Feedback welcome

• SnowJapan Admin

I'd say so yes, if we're going to be making something official we'd like it to be a nice design rather than just text on a t-shirt. For me, something simple would be best. It needs to look ok small on a sticker or on a beanie.....

• SnowJapan Admin

Again, personally I would think some consistency is a good thing. Different designs on different things would perhaps weaken the message, for want of a better word. I'd think one easy to recognise design would be best...

What do other people think?

We're open to ideas and changing the guidelines and specs of the competiton.

Ok, For those who want the font:

http://www.dafont.com/alexis.font

Also, you can get a t-shirt template (to play with) from here:

http://www.vectorportal.com/templates/detail.asp?iFile=472&iType=78

If you need a free image editing program:

http://www.gimp.org/

Originally Posted By: SJForums

If all the designs are embarrassingly rubbish, and we decide not to make any stuff, there won't be a winner!

lol.gif aaaah ha ha ha ha

So I shouldn't enter then?

For what it's worth, I would stick to a front design, with the website url being used for the back. This wouyld work well for tees/beanies etc.

Look forward to seeing what comes up....

• SnowJapan Admin

You can submit as many as you want to.... bring them on!

I don't think we'll be too keen on slogans, but you might surprise us I suppose.

Perhaps one thing to remember. We (ie. SnowJapan) will be deciding on the semi-finalists, from which everyone will choose the finalists and eventually the winner. So please try to keep in mind the colors and the fonts and the look of the site that we have, as we will probably be bias towards something that is recognisable as being "SnowJapan". (For example, as you can probably tell, SJ1 really likes that rich dark blue color).

(Does that make sense?)

Thanks everyone.

• SnowJapan Admin

Domokun, can we please keep the submissions to being sent by email?

For a number of reasons - if they are posted here other people might be put off from submitting, ideas might be "pinched", etc etc. We found last time that it was best for submissions to be sent to us rather than people just post them on here.

Thanks.