Where are you going to ride would be my first question, Australia or Japan? At 85 kgs for Japan I would recommend 164cms, further a Banana for you at this stage is all hype designed for landing jibs and giving critical edge control your getting a rally car when you probably only need a taxi.A k2 equiv of the eldorado, burton custom 164 or 159 wide would probably be more up your alley.

Now watch the lib tech rep jump out on me!!

Originally Posted By: Drop Inn
At 85 kgs for Japan I would recommend 164cms, further a Banana for you at this stage is all hype

Wow. Lots of bells going off with this one.

164cm for a 85kg low-intermediate is absoludicrous, unless he has the luxury of riding nothing but pow or wants a slightly longer freeride-only stick. Granted, it is tough to pin down what length not knowing the type of riding he wants to do. He would do much better on something around 158-ish if he's going for all-mountain with a bit of freestyle thrown in. When I was 85kg, I was on a 161, and even that felt long for the same type of riding. And what's up with the wide recommendation? If he has big boots (AUS 12.5 or 13), definitely. But at 5'9", that's not likely. Anything else and it'll have all the responsiveness of driving a schoolbus. I've been there, and I know.

I'm no Lib rep, but how much time do you have on the Skate Banana - or do I chalk this one up to passing judgment on the Internet on gear never tried before? Banana Tech may not be for everyone, but it performs as advertised: slightly quicker edge-to-edge, jibs like a noodle yet rides groomers with stability. I haven't had it in pow yet, but I've heard numerous firsthand accounts of its solid performance in such conditions as well.

I agree that he might not need a Banana, but he's clarified he's not a beginner, so he might be better off with a board that is not a 'taxi-equivalent', and he certainly would be better off on a 159 Banana than a 164 anything - unless Australia has some never-ending pow stashes he's keeping tight under wraps.

To the original poster, go with the 159 Banana if you're looking for an all-mountain stick with a bit of freestyle. If you're planning some other focus of riding, let us know. thumbsup.gif

I don't get why everyone always recommends getting a longer board for Japan. If you're guaranteed deep pow then fine, but since is pow a sure thing? Don't forget guys that you can just set your stance back on your board and use your regular board!

164 is too long for you Leo.

one more vote for the 159 banana

Originally Posted By: Kumapix
Don't forget guys that you can just set your stance back on your board and use your regular board!

thumbsup.gif

For those who aren't able to build up there quiver yet, this is the only way to go.

love for previous two posters.

If you have the cash, I can see why a tapered board like a Fish would be a good recommendation for a SECOND board in Japan, but agree that longer boards are not a great recommendation. Longer boards need speed, are harder to control, and are geared towards large open alpine faces above the treeline - which more or less DO NOT exist in Japan - especially for an intermediate rider.

There is quite often powder, but you'll get enough float by setting your stance back on a regular freestyle/all mountain board.

You are 5'9 and 85kg, so I'd imagine that 157 to 159 would be perfect - longer will equal less fun, and much less progression.

Buy one alround board - like a 159 banana, if that tickles your fancy,

and buy a pocket tool and you can shift your bindings if you are really struggling in the powder.

this is a constant source of confusion for people...

a quick story to make a point....i too am 85kgs, i took an option 161 (freeride board, also a mid-wide model) to japan in 05 and found it to be awesome in the pow, floated effortlessly through all conditions. last year i took a new rome 157 (all mtn board, mid wide model also) which has a more centred stance for freestyle. this board was a lot less easy in the pow, didnt want to float as much, and my technique had to be a bit different to achieve the same feel as my option...i am an advanced rider and for me, a board that is a bit longer for Pow is worth it for sure...a wide board can help if it is a bit shorter coz this creates more surface area for greater floatation...as others have written, if your going shorter it will need to a more freeride shaped board with stance set back slightly and a tapered shape with smaller tail, bigger nose. when your riding anywhere, even in epic powder, you still need to ride on groomed runs at some point, even if only on cat tracks to get back to chairs/gondolas. in my opinion if your not a strong rider in powder conditions, you should be on slightly longer board, as shorter boards require better technique. also worth saying that whatever board you have, in dry snow, you really need the right wax and this will help alot with how the board performs in deep fresh snow...anyway, rambling now...hope its helpful...

Is the 85kg with or without gear? you're probably pushing 95kg by the time you're geared up. Don't get too hung up on a couple of cm in length, you probably won't notice the diff between a 159 and a 161 once you've factored in all the other variables that affect you're riding like - time of day, energy levels, quality of the snow, type of slope, your general mood etc. Go with something you like and something that performs at a level a bit (or a lot if you're the kind of person who picks things up quickly) above your standard. A week in white room and you'll outstrip your board's performance if you go for something too low. This should lead you to think that 159 is probably as short as you want to go.

On the setting back your bindings point - Different people will have different views. IMHO that is the quickest way to ruin a day's riding and to really piss off your mates. Nothing worse than standing waiting while someone is dicking around with their bindings. If you're lacking a bit of float in the pow, keep your speed up by riding a little more aggressively or keeping to steeper slopes. Apart from the sheer pain in the arse of messing around with your bindings, a set back stance messes with your board's groomer performance. You might find your time in the pow is a bit easier on the back leg but you've just made you board more squirrely on the smooth. Unless your a BC kind of guy - which you're probably not juding by the question - you'll be resort riding and transitioning from different types of terrain all day. Just my opinion, it is easier and faster to adjust your riding style and enjoy all mediums than go for a set back stance and sacrifice performance on one part of the mountain for marginal improvement on another part.

Originally Posted By: AK 77
longer will equal less fun, and much less progression.

not having a go or anything, but why do say this? If he is stooging around on a 200cm thing I'd probably agree, but how would a 165 be less fun or restrict his progression?

Not sure why this turned thread has turned pow-centric when there is no mention of pow in his initial post. There is, however, mention of Australia, which would make it less likely that the original poster is searching for a pow board. There is also mention of an all-mountain freestyle board, which also makes his requested advice less likely regarding of pow sticks.

Of course, 159 is a bit short for him - if he wants a dedicated pow-only board. Otherwise, anything in the 160's is on the long side for him, even for an all-mountain (do-it-all) board. And not to put words in AK's mouth, but I think this touches on his "longer will equal less fun" generalization. If he wants to dink around on groomers, maybe dabble in the park a bit, and not hit waist deep fluff or do Rad Air Tanker speed groomer runs, a longer board will be more cumbersome and require far more muscling around. Not exactly ideal for your every day, low-intermediate rider who resides in Australia.