Always wanteed another degree but haven't found the time to do it?! Now you can become a fully qualified Batchelor of the Arts during your morning commute on the train, and your cell phone is your professor!!! Nuts!

"Cyber University, the nation's only university to offer all classes only on the Internet, began offering a class on mobile phones Wednesday on the mysteries of the pyramids."

Cell Phone College Class

the technology is there. It's in the news because it's actually becoming the norm.

distance learning at the university level began in '98 in the U.S. and was really deemed to have a lack of credibility. by 2010, the United States Distance Learning Association predicts that every single college student will graduate with at least one course completed entirely online.

Since around the year 2000 or so, virtually every educational journal has been also publishing their articles online. Most University libraries also have staff who spend their entire shift scanning and uploading the physical library into their cyber library. This has been going on for nearly a decade.

I'm currently doing a MEd degree in Instructional Technology and it is entirely online (as it should be... given the subject matter.) The amount of information I have at my disposal via my virtual library is ridiculous. Our live chats rarely encounter any technological glitches and I prepare group presentations with people from all over the world on a monthly basis.

I just wish I had been doing this earlier. Information-based subjects are going through a major revolution right now.

Hop on it guys. If you have ever considered continuing your education, I promise it is worth it. (if you have the time, that is. many people believe that because it is online and can be scheduled at the students' will, that it will be easy. I work around 30 hours a week for my degree. If my wife didn't work nights, as I work days, I doubt I would be able to pull it off. it really is demanding. But it's alot easier than driving to campus and lingering library halls.)

Bit earlier

"You might be forgiven for thinking that distance learning is a new phenomenon. Far from it – it is actually well over one hundred years old and draws on the extension models of the English universities of Oxford and Cambridge."

"Anna Ticknor is one of the pioneers of distance education in the U.S.A. In 1873, she created a society to encourage studies for women at home so as to increase educational opportunities for them. In its twenty-four year history, Ticknor’s Boston-based organisation served over 10,000 students, and set the pace for other home-based correspondence study courses. One of the early institutions that allowed a university degree at bachelor, master or doctoral level to be earned entirely through correspondence was Indiana ’s Central University , founded in 1896 and still in existence in much the same form today."

here's the article

it is very anti-social indeed. Interesting how a communication device can block communication, eh?

I too find it sad when I see kids sitting around together and all typing away on their keitais.

thankfully the bluetooth thing hasn't caught on here. When I went home last summer to the states I was shocked at all the people just sitting in restaurants with their families with bluetooth ear pieces in their ear. I saw a lot of people wearing them even though they weren't speaking... or listening.

Originally Posted By: samurai
But it's alot easier than driving to campus and lingering library halls.)

Thats true Samurai, but you don't get to ogle the hotties that are also hanging round the library!! ;\)

The only thing bluetooth is good for is sharing...ahem....files shifty.gif between phones!! That talking headset nonsense is shite. People want a slap when they wear one of them (unless its in the car thumbsup.gif )