Just seen an advert in the station that JR is selling a Shink plus lift ticket from Tokyo to Gala Yuzawa for 8400 yen and to Karuizawa for 6800 yen. Good prices for day trips, but are the resorts any good?

You can do Kagura for around that price before christmas, going up to about 10000 peak season. You gotta take the bus as well, but it doesnt take long. Other than being slightly less convenient, I reckon Kagura is better in every respect. Fisrt time I went to Gala, I waited two hours for the gondola \:o

There are quite a few different resorts around echigo yuzawa, several available on that similar shink+lift ticket deal. Gala is the most convenient, Kagura is high so often has good powder. Watch out for windy days (check forecast), when lots of Kagura and Gala will close - Id recomend a more sheltered resort instead - eg Kandatsu - just 7 minutes from Echigo Yuzawa.

Ive never been to Karuizawa, but every time Ive been through there, it looks bad - they just dont get that much snow as far as I can tell. Its very close though.

had a good day at gala a few years ago but if i went back now i think id be frustrated at the flatness of it all. very convenient and if you`re in for a quickie (ski trip!) and not too fussed about snow quality itd be OK.

karuizawa on the other hand is a shopping outlet with a ski resort close by... or at least thats the way i view it anyway! low snow quality most of the time, and the runs are short and very suited to beginner level..

theres a hatsu suberi deal to kagura that finishes on the 15th Dec but for 8100 you can get shink rtn from Tokyo + lift tix.. sounds like an awesome deal to me and would love to be up there but have things promised to the missus \:\(

Karuizawa doesn't get much snow, as it's in a very dry area, but when it snows it's powder. I would recommend Gala rather than karuizawa, if your a bit of an expert. Karuizawa is good for the beginner or if you just want to play in a little snow.

I don't think JR has come out with their Shinkansen Higaeri brochure. But in years past I've used it a half dozen times. There's great deals for one day trips to Kagura(as previously mentioned), Hakuba, and Myoko Suginohara. Train/Lift Pass cost around 10,000. Which isn't too bad.

It's possible to catch the first train to Tokyo Sta. then board

the Shinkansen and arrive at Yuzawa by 7:30, from there it's a 20 minute bus ride. One time I did this and actually made it on time to Kagura for the first Ropeway lift up. I thought that was pretty cool since I had left Fujisawa around 5:00am that morning. I'll post the

JR link once I find it.

I've done Gala quite a few times. No buses involved so you get the most time on the snow when you are on a day trip by train from Tokyo. I've been there on weekdays when we've had whole runs to ourselves. It gets crowded on the weekend though. If you take the first shink and change quickly you won't have to wait for the Gondula at all.

I've only been to Karuisawa twice and both times it was crowded with kids and icy.

These are cheapo early season prices, I think.

Karuizawa is crap for serious skiing, nice place for shopping maybe.

Gala Yuzawa is full of beginners (because of the access direct from the shink station, and offers like this) and is low and generally slushy.

A much better option would be to buy the shinkansen deal to Echigo Yuzawa including a day's lift pass for Naeba or Kagura - you can choose which. Normal price is about 11,000 but I think it's cheaper in December.

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...