Some of the guys at work were talking about this today and it got me wondering. Any guys on here been to (or even often go to) hostess bars - the kind here in Japan. I'd be interested to hear what it's like. The guys at work seem to spend a fortune on "talking" and extremely marked-up drinks. I can see the appeal in speaking to attractive ladies, but wouldn't a normal bar be just fine for that?

I've been to a few with Japanese friends who've been paying and I worked a waiter in one with mainly gaijin hostesses for a month about 12 years ago.

Can definately see the appeal but probably wouldn't pay to go. Basically when I've been it's been a bit of a laugh with friends. From the hostess perspective, if you're not a jerk they can basically enjoy their work without having to pretend to do so as much. That's my experience and friends and ex-girlfriends who've done the job say the same.

It's actually a lot of fun to hang out with friends drinking and talking with (usually) hot women who are being paid to pour your drinks and chat. Chance to practice Japanese (maybe English for the girls) or just have a laugh if the girl is a gaijin. Having said that I'd much rather go out for a drink with my wife of course.

It's really an "oyaji" thing... I've been to a few, but only out of social/work obligation - I didn't really enjoy the experience per-se... It's not like you can really chat up the girls and expect any "non-financial" outcome.

Originally Posted By: ger
Probably most of us only go to hostess bars when we're with some old Japanese guys and there's no way out. They're abysmal.

ditto that. Id never chose to go there but often my J-friends like going. Some places are just for chatting while others can have semi to full service...?There are swingers private clubs too...

Been once didnt pay, the girls treated me well cause I was the first white gaijin at the place. They know how to make you feel cool but it never goes anywhere really. Went home drunk and thats about it.

Wouldnt go by myself cause I dont need to pay that much for booze.

for my ten yen I like them and have been to plenty-(so I guess would fall into the often go to category lol?) - I get to go a lot and can claim back-An old girlfriend was a hostess in Shinjuku- lots of uni students do it as it pays well- I once met a girl at one who enjoys snowboarding - she said she would work for two months and that would pay for a season in NZ -something she has done for the last three years- happy days desu- As Davo says - great place to practice the Nihongo- Not sure if they would work in Western countries though but great over here -

Originally Posted By: rach
I can see the appeal in speaking to attractive ladies, but wouldn't a normal bar be just fine for that?

how many bars have you been to in japan where it is possible, lets forget about socially unacceptable, to casually approach someone of whom you don't know?

Er, thanks guys!

Quote:
how many bars have you been to in japan where it is possible, lets forget about socially unacceptable, to casually approach someone of whom you don't know?

Quite a few. Not traditional Japanese places of course but lively bars and clubs in the city...

Had one experience for about 5min in a club. Girl I knew called me and told me to come to the place she worked. I was looking for new hang-out spots, so I showed up to her place thinking it was a bar (non-hostess type). When inside, sat down and talked to her for a min or so, then she said it would cost 6000/hr to drink with her. Now mind you I knew her for quite some time, so I told her she wasn't worth 6000 and left. That was the last time I talked to her. Seriously, why would I pay money to talk to someone that I could talk to normally for free?