Niseko (or somewhere else) in early December?

Hello everyone - I'm a new member - first post ever.

I have about about 5 days to travel around Japan, and have already been here twice so I've seen most of the major cities. I would love to go skiing, and also I will be alone, so skiing seems like a great thing to keep me occupied.

The problem is the days I will be traveling are December 3 to December 7 (give or take a couple days), and I don't know how the snow will be then.

I see that in some years it is great, but in other years it doesn't really start until mid or late December...

So my questions:

1) In general, how is the snow at this time?

2) I am a big skiier, but would like to learn snowboarding - if the snow is bad, will there still be enough for the smaller runs? Basically, what is the worst case for this time of year? Will the resorts definitely be open?

3) What will the town be like at this time? Will the bars and restaurants be open? Will there be a lot of people there?

4) Is there a better option than Niseko?

So, in general - I'm looking for the liveliest area, that has the best chance of good snow.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated - and sorry for the long list of questions!

At the big N

So early in Dec, snow -> patchy at best, skiable? prob not, except up high.

Town buzzing? of course, the seansonals would already be there limbering up their limbidos

Better choice? Go a bit later.

Thanks for the reply. Later's not an option unfortunately - I've got to be in Tokyo on Sunday the 9th to catch a flight to Bangkok on the 10th.

By not skiable, do you mean the resort wouldn't even be open? Are there other things to do for a few days if there's no snow? And as for going up high - is that a possibility? I'm a good skiier.

The alternatives are Okinawa (but there I've got the opposite problem - at that time of year it's probably just a bit too cold to spend time on the beach), or just randomly traveling around Japan. Skiing is definitely the preferable thing here...

And another note - my Japanese isn't that great, and I'll be alone - so going someplace where there are some other English speakers is a plus too - looks like Niseko has that going for it as well.

Anyway, any suggestions are very welcome - if you really think it's not worth it to come, that's a totally reasonable answer...

Dont worry about no Japanese.

As for ski resorts that that for sure will be open that is a tough call. Furano is a pretty safe bet to have something as is Kiroro.

You will either get crap or good stuff. If the snow turns on Early then youll get tons of it anywhere.

Look at that time of the year now one is flying anywhere. Hold off on a ticket somewhere untill a week to a few days before you are planning to come. By that time you will know if the snow has turned on somewhere.

Well, if I can't find snow I'll probably head to Shikoku or something - I'll definitely get out of Tokyo during that week.

I guess I don't really have to decide now - ideally I would know for sure, because if not, I'll get a rail pass, and if so, then I won't - but I guess it's not that big a deal if I get the rail pass and don't quite take $250 worth of trains...

Anyway, thanks for the advice...and if others want to chime in with a "Hey! Even if the snow sucks it'll be ton of fun!", then feel free \:\)

How is the nightlife at Furano or Kiroro? Until now I've been focusing on Niseko for some reason...

Brett - I'd suggest playing it by ear. Obviously everyone hopes that there'll be a massive big dump of snow tomorrow (or how about this afternoon) and continuously thereafter, but..... early December is very early season, even for a place in Hokkaido that gets as much snow as Niseko. Give it a week or two - assuming you can afford to wait - and see how it's looking. If it's like December two years ago, you'll think you've died and gone to snow heaven, but more likely we won't get that this year and an average season in Niseko would mean some snow there in early December, but not that much.

Don't know about Kiroro, but Furano's not really a place to go on your own for apres ski, I'll say. Niseko can be a laugh, though you'll probably come back with an Aussie accent and some new slang to use.

Whatever - good luck

Ah the mad dash. Always makes me laugh that. August / September and people round here seem to wallow in their own laziness. (Well, some!) Come November they suddenly realise that the season is round the corner and it always gets to mad rush status. ;\)

I could imagine the electricity in the air as everybody runs around like headless chickens. Then the first huge dump comes it'll be like Christmas came early and everybody drops everything for the first lines. Then guests arrive and things start to calm down. Must be fun.