Allowed to smoke at school

News.com has this:

"AUSTRALIAN Capital Territory Education Minister Andrew Barr today rejected claims that a 16-year-old student was given permission to take smoke breaks at school, saying teenage girls often make statements that aren't correct."

That sounds about right. I started smoking behind the bike shed at 12. After several beatings for getting nicked, I left school. No regrets and still smoking.

My HS had a smoking lounge just before I arrived. AFter I arrived, it was closed but smoking was allowed across the street. We called them the black-jackets.

My school was also heavy on chewing tobacco. Chicks chewed the stuff. most of us guys swallowed the juice in class as not to get caught. Chewing tobacco ran rampant through my school. Kodiak was the tin of choice. So much so, that our school's nickname was Kodiak High. There were hundreds of used tobacco globs stuck to the ceiling throughout the hallway.

fricking nasty. But I totally miss it. Even today, 12-15 years down the road, I still crave a dip after a big meal and often contemplate having friends send me some from the states. Although, I'm quite sure my wife would probably shoot me.

Chewing tobacco, was that in Japan?

The school I worked in very briefly here a while ago the teachers were smoking in the teachers room - and the kids were always around them. I remember once one teacher bragging about how cool smoking was and blowing shapes in the smoke. Didn't seem right, somehow.

no chewing tobacco in Japan as far as I've seen.

I can totally imagine that teacher bragging about smoking. Some of the teachers at my school just think they're the shiz.

What kind of ego does it require to routinely brag to teenagers in a failed attempt to gain their respect?

Quote:
What kind of ego does it require to routinely brag to teenagers in a failed attempt to gain their respect?

I don't know about failed. It seems to work where I am

When I was school (it's not so long ago!!) many teacher smoke in teacher room in front of us student. And also sometimes outside teacher room. It was not taboo at all. I think even 10 years it change much at school.

The parents are more often than not, the fault FT.

My parents were teachers, and my wifey has just become one. Not a profession I would enjoy I must admit.

What kind of a doctor says it's good to smoke if it relieves stress?

tell that to a cancer victim...