I know these type of info is spread in other threads and throughout the website but wanted to unique feedback to what I'm looking for and a couple specific questions. So here we go...thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Wife and I are working in Singapore, from N. California. Looking to spend at least a week in Japan snowboarding in late Feb.

Me: Expert snowboarder - want powder, more powder and some more. Like tree riding, open bowls and natural terrain features.

Wife: Intermediate snowboarder - wants nice groomed trails, spas, some nightlife and other things to do like snowshoe, cross-country, etc...

Both of us don't want to share the slopes with huge amounts of people if possible.

My main question is that I have heard many Japan resorts do not allow you off trail??? Does this mean that they just don't let you go outside resort boundaries (which would be true for most U.S. resorts) or they REALLY don't allow you off the groomed trails? The last thing I want is to be surrounded by powder and not able to get it w/out breaking rules/laws. I find that hard to believe but that is what I have heard, may have to do with how people define backcountry. Backcountry to me is outside the resort boundaries, everything within is fair game. Would really like some comments on this...

Based upon the above info, really looking for some recommendations on where you think we can find the type of vacation we are looking for.

Thanks!

J

re: out of bounds, I'm sure if you did a search it would come up. I know it's been discussed before. In short, if you duck the ropes & get caught you'll lose your pass (or worse if you're at goryu/47)

re: where to go cuz you want pow, start with reading all the posts on the first 2 pages. If you have any questions, start reading page 3

Lest we forget, only a few years ago, Barok was literally beaten up (black and blue) by the ski-patrol at 47 and they nearly took his season pass. Enderzero was there and witnessed it but they didn't touch him.

Barok also pulled a fast one on the patrol and pissed them off. He didnt give them his pass, skied down to his car, changed jackets and went back up via another lift.

There are resorts that will let you ski the trees. There are spots open at 47 and goryu as well.

Happo Iwatake sunalpina in hakuba all dont really care if you ski tress.

Nozawa Takasu snow park niseko the list is longer than everyone thinks. Just dont spend money at the resorts that wont open up terrain.

As for your question about being tracked up or crowded. during the week no one will be around but on the weekends expect a 5 to 10 minute line-up only at the main lift like the gondola. Every other lift will be walk on. The uphill capacity far out ways the downhill capacity

Originally Posted By: Markie
Lest we forget, only a few years ago, Barok was literally beaten up (black and blue) by the ski-patrol at 47 and they nearly took his season pass. Enderzero was there and witnessed it but they didn't touch him.

I wont go to Goryu/47 except to leave the resort area. Wont ride that resort at all. Fockers.

If you're going from Singapore, sometimes the biggest factor in your decision is what flights you can get.

While a Tokyo flight is generally easily available, and a 6/7 hr overnighter, getting up to Niseko can be more than twice as long again. Maybe three times. Sometimes you're schlepping across Tokyo to Haneda from Narita to catch your flight, or going via HK and hoping for a good connection. Whereas Hakuba is generally 10 to 11 hours door to door, that amount of time will probably just see you boarding your second flight on the way to Niseko...

Although you wouldn't think it, sometimes you can hit slopes in Europe way faster from Singapore than you can hit Niseko.

OK, I've got kids and therefore particularly sensitive to how much transiting I'm doing carrying their stuff and mine - and I'm also not really that into back-country - but if you're just there a week, why spend an extra day travelling?

There are direct flights from Sing to Sapporo.

There are direct flights from Sing to Tokyo.

Flight times are about 30mins difference.

You should consider transport options to your resort when choosing.

Thursday one of the reasons why the travel compaines are hitting the HK and China markets is because of less direct flights. HK, china and Korea still have a few other than that Narita is now a hub. I will say that the guys on the ground in Niseko know more about marketing than the people on Honshu. Before the word was out about no direct flights the marketing switched to marketing more in Asia. On honshu they are just too bloody slow getting their act together.

If it was me I would have taken an ad out in the paper and said, Why waste a day in a plane? When you can waste a day here?

n693148707_339047_1210.jpg

Thanks for the info so far but I'm a bit confused on this flight thing. There are direct flights from SGP to Tokyo, I'm doing one next week. I would think once in Tokyo its easy to get to Hokaido from there? or not?

Also will probably spend a couple days in Tokyo so ok to go through there.

thanks again!

J

Originally Posted By: Fattwins

If it was me I would have taken an ad out in the paper and said, Why waste a day in a plane? When you can waste a day here?

youre so on the money mate. Watch some advertising bloke lurking here turn around and use that... ;\)
 Originally Posted By: Jay
Thanks for the info so far but I'm a bit confused on this flight thing. There are direct flights from SGP to Tokyo, I'm doing one next week. I would think once in Tokyo its easy to get to Hokaido from there? or not?

Also will probably spend a couple days in Tokyo so ok to go through there.

thanks again!
J

The flight from Singapore will arrive at Narita, and you'll have to transfer to Haneda to catch the internal flight on to Hokkaido.

Jay, the thing is when you fly from SGR to Tokyo, you'll land at narita, but most internal flights (if not all??) Are from haneda aiport which is at the other side of Tokyo near to Yokohama. So its not really THAT simple to catch a flight all the way to Hokkiado

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
Thursday one of the reasons why the travel compaines are hitting the HK and China markets is because of less direct flights. HK, china and Korea still have a few other than that Narita is now a hub. I will say that the guys on the ground in Niseko know more about marketing than the people on Honshu. Before the word was out about no direct flights the marketing switched to marketing more in Asia. On honshu they are just too bloody slow getting their act together.

That’s a good line for an ad. pun intended.

You’re absolutely right about the marketing people. Ads for Niseko are everywhere. Online, Xpat asia sites, in freebie magazines, in classifieds. Even ads for individual apts for rent in the village. The ads are everywhere but there aren’t enough seats on direct flights which makes the difference of a day of your hols either side.