Avoiding unwelcome encounter

There's a few new people in my office, and to put it bluntly I'm none too keen on them. But they seem to want to be social and where I work it's easy to bump into them outside the office, at lunch etc.

I've got a few "avoidance" strategies but running out of effective ones. Any good ones other than the "I'm busy"....

i can't stand this. i normally just be a bit rude and go back to reading the paper or whatever else i was doing before. when i see people i don't like talking to on the bus i ackowledge them then go back to listening to my music.

yeah, it must seem pretty rude, but it's better than talking to them about crap i'm not interested in

Originally Posted By: Weegeoff
 Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Tell them you're from Scotland.

Grow a beard mad.gif

You're not paying attention. This is an international and multi-cultural forum. The only racist here is overtly Scots. He's playing the "Celt" card.
 Originally Posted By: Weegeoff
Tell them you're from Scotland.

Grow a beard mad.gif

You're not paying attention. This is an international and multi-cultural forum. The only racist here is overtly Scots. He's playing the "Celt" card. [/quote
Sorry. Could you say that in English?

Looking for a fight Jimmy?

The only person on these forums who is overtly anti- another nationality comes from Scotland.

The Scot anti- another bases his antipathy entirely on nationality, and not personality.

I'll re-phrase his comments. "I don't like Japs because they are are Japs and come from Japland, and I want them to loose".

Is that plain enough for an adopted Scot to understand?

Looking for a fight Jimmy?

The only person on these forums who is overtly anti- another nationality comes from Scotland.

The Scot anti- another bases his antipathy entirely on nationality, and not personality.

I'll re-phrase his comments. "I don't like Japs because they are are Japs and come from Japland, and I want them to loose".

Is that plain enough for an adopted Scot to understand?

What substance are you on wakaranai.gif

This one:

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
The highlight for me was when England lost....;) \:D

Where do Scotland sit?

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
oooooooooooohhh, bring out the good ol red white and blue eh Soubs?

Bullshit. I hate national anthems, and I loathe flags.

Check the mirror, TB, and you will see the racist nationalist.

And find another Celt whinging about the injustices of something that happened 400 years ago?

I would love it if a decent night's sleep would cure the world of the need for revenge. Unfortunately, tomorrow Sunnis are going to be killing Shias. Muslims are going to be killing Jews. Serbs are going to be killing Croats. And vice versa.

All justified by an historical grievance.

I'm not anti- Scot or anti- Celt, half my family are Celts. I'm totally opposed to people hanging on to historical injustices as a justification for violence. Why were Catholic Celts killing Protestant Celts in northern Ireland (and vice versa)? Because the parents took good care to pass on the poison to their children.

Fill your children with hate and revenge.

Soubs, you got it wrong mate, I ain't racist. All this stems from the fact that I won't support England at sports?? Get over yourself mate. Anytime a sports orientated discussion came up and I commented on Englands performance all you did was rag about Scotland and how our record is worse than England's. What has that got to do wth the price of tea in China? I can have an opinion over a team if I want. When have I ever said derogatory or racist comments concerning English people? At sports I have a choice of who to support and who not to, and the reason I choose not to support England is because they are my teams biggest rivals.

I would be very surprised to hear Man U fans giving their support to Liverpool, or Spurs and Arsenal fans doing the same. Rivalry's are just that, 2 entities who compete against each other, these are usually based on proximity. Neighbours competing against those closer to them.

Seems to me this thread has shown that you have been brooding over this for a long time and you've let it get you all tied up.