Anyone watch any Japanese news programs?

Just watching News Station. The guy who does it now really gets on my nerves. His half-whispering "so desu nes" all over the place, concerned face and the useless woman sat next to him looking ever so concerned as well.

Any recommendations for decent national j-news programs. I suppose NHK is the best.

I'm suspicious of NHK because its a state sponsored broadcaster. I always think they produce skewed news, I feel the BBC is like that as well in the UK. The government always puts their oar in....IMO....so desu neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! \:D

Not sure about that, the BBC have broke a few scandals about the government. If anything they seem anti-government at times to me, though obviously not overtly so.

Yes the bbc have been in trouble a few times because of their "bashing". At least the nhk guys usually don't go ott with the fake emotions as the commercial programs seem to so much.

I always think that they are pro-establishment, which in the past has usually meant pro-tory. But I think in general that they do get and respond to pressure from the Government. I know that they do break scandals etc and I have to say that they are much better than CNN, its just that I'm pretty cynical about the links that reach from Westminister to TV House.

CNN are brutal, why when they mention China do they have to emphasise that China is communist??

Originally Posted By: thursday
the BBC has always come across pro Tory.

er... you do know the meaning of Tory, right?

The BBC has been attacked at times for being pro-Labour, or left-leaning, but I have never heard it described as pro-Conservative.

News is a commodity, but the lack of decent news and news analysis programmes in Japan depresses me. It also makes me feel rather proud of the BBC.
Can you imagine a programme as good as Newsnight on TV here?
 Originally Posted By: big-will
I thought Chinas full name was Communist China. Isn't it?

Its the People's Republic of China

People know that China is communist, so why do they have to say it EVERY time China is mentioned?? The fact that they are communist doesn't make the news any worse or different.