Hey guys,

I have had a look for a thread like this as I am sure it exists but could not find one.

basically I am looking for some real estate in Hakuba, or Shiga Kogen. Looking to buy a mid sized lodge, around 20 rooms plus Bar ad restuarant. I have come accross 2 english Websites in Hakuba although wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of any other estate agents or japanese real estate in Hakuba/Nagano (or service this area). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards.

Hi Nakamura - welcome.

The 2 English websites in Hakuba you have found - they are the best reference. Its best to email them as they have other properties that they dont list on their websites.

In Hakuba there are 3 companies only selling houses.

Shiga Kogen is not connected to the Hakuba area thus you would need to contact someone in that area to find out who has properties up there. They wont have English services there so it might be best to coctract century 21 for example to help you for Shiga Kogen. A 20 room lodge is actually a Hotel. There is one place for sale here in Hakuba like that but you will pay alot for it. Prices have gone up as the owners arent being stupid and giving away their properties any more.

Hey Fattwins,

thanks for the advice. do you have any details on the place currently for sale in hakuba you mentioned, or can you point me in the right direction. I am aware of 2 of the companies Sakura and Hakuba Real estate whos is the third?

Thursday I run a business that has some interest in Japan Skiing and we are basically looking at the purchase in line with our growth and plans in Japan.

Appreciate your help guys.

Also, I have finance available in Australia for this purchase but am looking into financing in Japan if this is a possibility because of the low interest rates. I have heard conflicting reports, 1. that you cannot get finance unless you have PR in Japan and 2, you can get finance as long as you have 15-20% deposit which will not be an issue. Can you guys shed some light on this one?

thanks again

The more, the merrier.

Most foreigners in Japan only know about residential loans. Business loans for property are different.

What kind of ROI do people look for in Oz now? Those interest rates are pretty high.

Originally Posted By: nakamura
Also, I have finance available in Australia for this purchase but am looking into financing in Japan if this is a possibility because of the low interest rates. I have heard conflicting reports, 1. that you cannot get finance unless you have PR in Japan and 2, you can get finance as long as you have 15-20% deposit which will not be an issue. Can you guys shed some light on this one?

thanks again

yes your points 1 & 2 are correct and more than likely you need to be in steady job for 3 years.

i have heard stories of foreigners getting bank loans here..i guess you need to do the footwork and visit all the banks

You can get a Japanese Yen loan from Australia, I think from the NAB. The interest rate isn't quite as low as it is here but it's a few percent lower than normal Aussie rates. You borrow against the assets you have in Aus. Getting a loan from a Japanese bank is generally very difficult for foreigners. They won't accept your Aussie assets as collateral and they normally won't even think about giving you a loan unless you are a permanent resident (at least not for any length of time that would make the repayments affordable). As Mr Wiggles alludes to it's pretty damn hard for Japanese themselves to get loans these days. In a country where real estate prices have declined for much of the last 12 years you can sort of understand why.

Originally Posted By: spacefrog
I thought you can`t own property in Japan unless you have a permanent residency????

not true. I know a lot of foreigners here without PR owning property