I reckon one of the best parts of a snow trip is finishing the day with snow just dumping then during the night it keeps dumping. As the night progresses I always wake up and look outside to see if my dsignated snow depth marker has been covered up. At about 3am I usually do my last 'wake up and check the snow' and when you see the depth marker has been buried you get really excited and cant get back to sleep.

On top of the anticipation that it builds, I find that white snow fall against a black sky looks really cool.

2 years ago in hakuba we went to bed after getting pissed and deciding to sleep in. when me buddy woke up 8:00am and looked out the window he said "there is 30cms on the car and its dumping". I said thats BS you just want us to wake up.

The car was full of snow and it was an epic storm. Skied untracked all day lapping up Happo. No one wanted to go up high cause it was so cold and windy. Rabbit and anying around kurobishi was thigh deep and our tracks were filling in every 20 minutes. we would rip down one side use it hit the other come back and find no tracks. What a day (it snowed so much it buried the snow guns put out the night befroe. I know cause I hit a buried one). Had it not been for my buddy checking before he pissed we would have missed half of an epic day.

Snow at night is best when you're in a car. If you start watching it, the way it swirls into the windscreen is really hypnotic. You've got to watch out for it when you're driving otherwise you'll probably end up in a ditch.

What business does something like that have falling from the sky=the business of making us "cream are pants" There are three days I can remember no 4

#1 kawaba the first place I saw snow freakin go nuts, 500 inches that year 1995/96. snowed every 3 days with storms up and over your chest after 3 to 4 days. Best day, weekday riped runs infront of the forest service all day. Got a warning from my buddy on patrol after. He said you knew the forest service were here. This guy was a bum from whitewater he gave me the warning but he knew, know he wished he was me. choke deep sometimes. HAd to shovel during the night just so we could get out of the house in the am. watching it snow stoked you or bummed you. stoked day off, bummed dam bastards have the day, off i dont.

#Cortina 4 days the first being thigh deep. Everyday after that waist deep. Most of the first pics I put up here were of those days. A friend and I were about the only ones lapin that pow. sick. Drove and slept in the car, decided after watching the snow fall to drive over to COrtina after the first 15 minutes of snow.

Sun peaks and fernie 2 in one. sking 2 crazy lines one a mellow 3000 vert bowl with a 30% falline knee deep. the other thigh deep with Alisha Cline and seth (not morrison) last day at the peaks hittng the Back country and hiking after lifts closed till the sun was going down. Watching that chick try 360s on her board. Best skier I ever met, that I never saw ski. Couldnt sleep that night stayed with a friend then hiked at 6am just to

try and get a fix.

#4 last year driving to hakuba watching the snow fall. 10 hours to hakuba slow driving but... the wind in hakuba was a blessing and curse. First many people just gave up. This made the bottom of the mountain a pow heaven but cold as fuk. runs that were near or around the gondola line had know one going down them cause, you had to traverse 2 to 5 minutes. The next day the top opened and the lines I got were dreamy and so dry. All day powder was had.

A whole night of driving with Oufreeki2 knowing that it was going to be something to remember.

Quote:
When the flakes are really big and falling very densely and there is not wind. It is almost surreal.
Thats just tops isn't it!? Especially when its in the evening and you know you're going to be riding it the following morning \:D

After driving up from Osaka, taking the ferry across the 'gap' and landing in the promised land, (Hokkaido) I drove until the snow was deep on the road. Pulled into a rest area, lay down in the back and looked up at the falling snow. No memory quite like it for serenity.

Lying in the back of my van watching the snow fall makes up for any lack of accomodation in my book. Hopefully i'll have got my camper by next year, best of both worlds!

Waking up to snow piled higher than the car ledge is pretty damn exciting too, I might add...

I would love to do some of this driving and camping in teh car, getting piled with snow etc. Either with a few mates or female company, either would work well.

My little brother lived in a big Dodge van at Big White for I think his first 4 seasons there. He was certainly 100% van bound for his first 2 seasons and I think 50/50 after that. Either way, I recon a full season living in a van in a cold place like that is hardcore.

slow big flakes falling is cool...especially if you're sitting in an outside onsen (co-ed preferred)...sometimes when the snow is like that, and the wind is swirling just a little, Momo and I fill the tub with hot water, open the window and relax with the snow blowing into the bathroom - very cool...

FT - I hear you about the snow falling so fast it buries your tracks - last winter we went to Ajigasawa for Christmas and it was like that all christmas night and all the next day. It was a weekday so we practically had the slopes to ourselves with fresh powder all day long - strong candidate for my best day on the slopes in my short 2 (soon to be 3) seasons of snowboarding...

Quote:
Originally posted by RayInJapan:
...especially if you're sitting in an outside onsen (co-ed preferred)...
g'day Ray.

I know what you mean by co-ed, but i just have to point out that when I read that term I for some reason always think it means "with school children" - then I cringe and remember what it actually means. Sick, I know.

I promise that I am not infering that you mean this, I just had to say something.

I have a German friend who on a business trip was suggesting that we all go a sauna (in Germany). He said we would enjoy it as he knew of a good bisexual sauna. His intent was honest, but the wording was easily confused.

nekobi, that's because you're driving too fast.

Driving in a snowstorm on the highway gives you the odd illusion that you're actually standing still so you put your foot down harder - then look down at the speedo and realize that you're going at 160 kph on a snowy road with 10 m visibility. eek.gif

It's kon-yoku.