I recently joined facebook and found some old Uni mates which is cool, but I keep getting trivial email --things like "Mark challenged you to a game of rock scissors paper"... then when I click on the link it asks me to log into the rock scissors paper application and informs me that the application will be able to view my 'profile'. I'm a little hesitant any wary of things like computer viruses.... and a low profile seems to be a good thing.

Anyone know about this stuff? Did Mark actually challenge me to a game or did some application send email automatically to all of Marks friends? What's the deal? wakaranai.gif

Yep, Mark challenged you. When he added the application he chose who to invite from his email list. I don't like all that stuff on Facebook so I just click ignore to all those requests. Just use it for messages, the wall and photos.

Originally Posted By: me jane
. I don't like all that stuff on Facebook so I just click ignore to all those requests. Just use it for messages, the wall and photos.

amen, vampires, ninjas, boozemail, double dare - there are alot of trivial time wasting aplications that you should just ignore. Stick to the basics and its a great networking tool

I recently joined facebook to discover that just about everyone I ever knew in my entire life also uses it \:o Even my mum for christs sake!

Anyway have found it a great way to keep in touch with freinds back in blighty and its a really handy way to share my photos (its cool being able to tag people in photos). Also a handy way to organise events and get people you know to turn up...

I'd recomend it, though like me jane says steer well clear of all the extra crap.

i've heard a rumour that if yuo post photos on facebook they might be able to acquire some rights to them (ie to sell to stock libraries etc).

maybe it's just an urban myth, or maybe its buried in the terms and conditions somewhere...

I'm on Facebook too, but tbh I don't like it, the user interface is so cluttered with lots of pointless things. But loadsa people that I know are on it, mainly those who were here with me in Japan before and have now gone home. I like BEBO better, and all my mates from back home are on there so thats the one that I keep up to date in terms of photos etc. I rubber all those "invites" from facebook for the shitey applications

I reluctantly joined just 3 days ago after pestering but I don't see myself using it much. I did the same with bebo and that faded out fast!

I'll pull the on on my account if it gets too much. If i want people to see pics I'll send them the pics or a webpage link. I don't want all my pics on the net.

Some of the rubbish people put in blogs or on the net really annoy me now, it's so damn boring and all of a sudden, stuff that you would never have needed to tell anyone seems to have been deemed important?? Day trip reports, how many beers you had... blah blah mad.gif

SJ though thumbsup.gif