As usual I do not feel like working so I will kill some time here.

I get to stay at some top hotels on my work travels. I find that the desperate air of pomp & superiority that the guests have is so unappealing. I work with the type of person that will ask what hotel you are staying in when you tell them you are going to XYZ for a holiday. No shit, first question they will ask is: "oh, where are you staying? Ahhh, the Savoy.......nice". These dull buggers lack so much imagination that they only know of these places and that it is staying there that makes the holiday. Nearly every business lunch I have ever been on consists of a conversation regarding what hotels each person likes in various cities. Again I paraphrase the tripe that spills forth:

"so db, where do you like to stay in Singapore"

"I usually stay in the Ritz Carlton, but I prefer the Conrad as it is closer to the office"

"The Conrad is rather crappy don't you think"

"I do not care, it is better than my own home and it is close to the office. In that heat I don't like to walk much to get to my desk and I prefer to avoid the hassle of catching a taxi"

The attention usually shifts off me at this stage.

In the meantime I should point out that there are often instances where I want privacy and warmth. If I am going to another country to snowboard them I will pay enough to be close to the lifts, dry and warm, private and with my own shower. The only reason I would break with this is if my mates were staying at a bunkhouse. Once I stayed at a bunkhouse for a week, but that was because it was at 3000m, and yes, I paid thru the nose for that luxury of waking up near the top of the lifts every day.

I find that my accommodation is the least important part of a holiday. There are some basic requirements that it must provide and anything past that is a waste of money to me. There some instances where the accom is part of the holiday: a grass hut on the beach in fiji for example. Sometimes an effort needs to be made to get these places and it becomes part of the experience, and often they cost more than you would hope.

But as for going to some everyday holiday place and booking a 5 star....... yawn, not impressive at all.

I would never stay at a carlton or etc. But on holiday with the wife Ill find a nice B and B a little higher priced say 50 to 60 US per person a night. I like the idea of beening able to talk to the owner.

On Vacation Ill spend money but I dont but brands and crap like that. I will go to a nice restaurant, not posh but no McDs for this guy.

I think there is a difference in the kind of luxury we are all talking about. Me a mid level hotel with a nice pool good staff and close to nice places I can take my wife or a nice B and B in a small town wife a lake and some soul.

incidentally, for those looking for that extra touch of class, the marie claire hotel in shizuoka does have mirrors on the ceiling. and a full length glass window looking into the bathroom.

plus u get toast and an egg for breakfast!!

not sure how many stars, but it sure was sw anky!

Markie - if the Arai hotel was bumming around then you probably wouldn't want to travel with me too much. That was the nicest place I have laid my head in years. \:D

I usually just prefer that if I am sleeping on the ground, at least the critters be smaller than my fist.