After some kids in a shooting incident in Liverpool a week or so ago, and a guy being beaten up outside his home for confronting some "yobs", there seems to be more and more on the news about young crime.

Quote:
Thousands of crimes by under-10s

Almost 3,000 crimes were committed last year where the suspect was too young to be prosecuted, the BBC has learned.

Figures show there were about 1,300 incidents of criminal damage and arson, and more than 60 sex offences committed by under-10s in England and Wales.

If a child is nine or under, he or she cannot be charged with an offence in England and Wales, although the crime will be recorded by the police.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6974587.stm

Rather worrying, I wonder how it compares with 5 or 10 (or more) years ago. Unfortunately there seems no end of stories to keep the tabloids in huge capital letters.

Is a similar thing going on in Japan at all?

No there is a huge problem with kids but they just don't have guns down here. Also the aussie media now seem to jump on the "ice" bandwagon whenever there's a problem.

That made me really sad about the shooting of that young boy. Life is so cheap to some.

Originally Posted By: Indo
No there is a huge problem with kids but they just don't have guns down here. Also the aussie media now seem to jump on the "ice" bandwagon whenever there's a problem.

The ice problem is very real Indo. There is a small element of it in my small community. A young guy that works for me got involved. great kid, comes from a great family, he had a few other issues going on, mixed it with the wrong crew and got on ice.
The government is now issuing TV ads about Ice.

"Rather worrying, I wonder how it compares with 5 or 10 (or more) years ago. Unfortunately there seems no end of stories to keep the tabloids in huge capital letters."

I'd think it was no less horrific, Re James Bulger killers. But certainly less rampant or widespread, eg the freaks who did happy slapping.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
It translates to amphetamine.

No problems here. The teens are interested in snatch; hairdoos and makeup. In that order.

I disagree Soubs.
There's a massive shabu problem in Japan.

I reckon kids grow up faster these days in Britain. There is loads of marketing to kids and tons of branded clothes for them. Japanese people are materialistic, but Japan or at least Nagano doesn't come anywhere near close regarding kids. When I was home a few years ago, I heard a 4 y.o. repeatedly tell her younger brother to ferk off in one of those ball pool things. I didn't have a sheltered upbringing, but I didn't know the word at that age. I'd have got a major smacking if I said it.

This shooting is well tragic. It sounds like some stupid gang ritual. Stupid gang rituals are nothing new, but firing off random bullets in public spaces is, especially if its sprogs doing it. It would have been throwing stones at buses in my day.