Japan investigates 'nuclear leak'

Quote:
Japanese officials are investigating the possibility of a second radioactive leak from a nuclear plant, following Monday's earthquake in central Japan.
Drums with low-level nuclear waste fell over during the tremors, and some of their lids were found open.

Water containing radioactive material is already known to have leaked from the plant into the sea, but officials say it will not harm the environment.

Is this a cause for one of those eek smileys?

You might think Japan has been wiped out since you posted, but don't worry we are still here 2pints. Just on the local news here in Niigata that there were over 50 "problems" at the plant.

Was reading today about the many blunders by the japanese Nuclear people, there have been a lot!! The most "Homer-like" story was the mixing of uranium in an open topped vat by hand, setting off a self sustaining chain reaction (I'm not surprised)!!!! **** that, can you imagine your boss saying to you when you punch in at work:

" Here you two, um go grab a couple of paddles, a huge pile of uranium and bosh it into that open vat and give it a wee mix around"

you'd be like " No **** danger!!"

Makes you wonder why Japan relies so much on nuclear power when it is so prone to earthquakes.

Are there any areas of Japan that are NOT prone to earthquakes at all, or extremely unlikely to get a big shaking?

Slightly off topic but this reminds of a tv show I saw about chernoybl.

Did you know, the Russians used cloudbursting bombs after that accident to make all the radiation rain down on Belarus? They were worried the clouds may drift to Moscow. This seems to be an accepted fact, the pilots got their medals for it recently on the 20th anniversary.

Originally Posted By: veronica
 Quote:
biggest power plant in the world

Which one is that daver?

The one in Niigata that was directly above the (previously undetected, according to officals) fault line of the earthquake there.
It's Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s Kashiwazaki-Kariwa power plant.

It was built to withstand up to 6.5, but this quake was 6.8.

The disturbing thing is that the officials lied once again, playing down the number and scale of accidents, then being forced to admit to more under investigation. Typical of nuclear power stations round the world.
What is more particular to Japan is the 'homer - like' (nice!) jobsworthy types carrying out lax safety practices.... it seems the biggest accident was 400 (not 100 as they frist announced) open drums of "low level" (anyone know what level this means?) waste falling over and spilling in the quake, and leaking out into the sea.

I will be going to Sado in mid-August, any of the scientists on SJ... Tsonda, Soub, ??? care to say if there is any realistic risk of simming, or swallowing sea water on Sado then? (I'm going anyway, and got soaked by the Chernobyl rain cloud while out orienteering as a child, so i probably glow in dark already..)

You'll do just fine AK. Radioactive substancences (plutonium, uranium etc.) are very dense and don't travel far.

Bricks are radioactive. So is fertiliser. Death is the only protection against radioactivity. You'd better kill yourself.