that is rather impressive eh! I wonder how long it will take for them to include that migration for harvesting areas with lots of surfers? On a regular and deliberate basis.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate they've already tracked one whitey that goes went from Sth Africa over to OZ (WA & SA) That sounds like a pattern to me! It's amazing how little they really know about these sharks and will be interesting to check out the research as it comes in.

When you going to the maldives BP? where? I'm hanging to do a trip there. My wife has been 4 times already the lucky bugger!

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
that is rather impressive eh! I wonder how long it will take for them to include that migration for harvesting areas with lots of surfers? On a regular and deliberate basis.

I thought that tigersharks already do that in Hawai. confused.gif

do they? eek.gif

Indo I know there are rogue sharks that get a taste for people, but I'm talking on a larger scale, as in a habit of the species like they already do with the seal colonies.

Going to the Maldives in April next year \:\)

Dont know to what extend, but thats what wikipe says.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigershark

Originally Posted By: wikipedia
Tiger sharks have become a recurring problem in Hawaii and are considered the most dangerous shark species in Hawaiian waters. They are considered to be sacred 'aumakua' or ancestor spirits by the native Hawaiians, however between 1959 and 1976, 4,668 tiger sharks were hunted down in an effort to control what was proving to be detrimental to the tourism industry. Despite these numbers, little decrease was ever detected in the attacks on humans. It is illegal to feed sharks in Hawaii and any interaction with them such as cage diving is discouraged.[8]

Question: If a tigershark chops a bite out of you, will you end up with a fine because you were feeding him? crazy.gif

where in the maldives bushy, and you booked it already?

i've been lucky enough to go there 3 times - when i was at uni my time poor but cash rich dad was always keen to zip over there on hit and run surf trips and to bring me along with him. woohoo!

a while back on the forum who was it that said there had been shark attacks in Haiwaii and who said there could not have been 'cos there were no reports of it on the net.

Weird logic.

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy

Question: If a tigershark chops a bite out of you, will you end up with a fine because you were feeding him? crazy.gif

lol.gif Well there you go!

We are going to Kuredu spook. where did you get to? We won't be surfing, but maybe I need to rethink that plan!

Yeah Thursday, some people have their heads up their arses eh!

dropping cash on da wedding, or the honeymoon?

we just wanted to throw a mellow party for all our friends for our wedding. but then costs have blown out a bit, the whole shebang will still be about $15kAUS, which is ok i guess. it'll be a 3 day party with a heap of people haning out and enjoying themselves. the eloping thing wasn't really an option for us, as we wanted to celebrate with friends.

whatever, its only money mate, you can always earn more! in 10 years time you're not going to remember how much your honeymoon cost, only that you had an ace time

good luck with the wedding!

yeah, no wedding really, just a party for all our friends here and then a party for all our friends in PErth once we get back there next year. Keeping the expenses down as much as possible, and spending a bit more on the honeymoon. Not too worried about the costs really though. When are you guys doing it?

Great Whites migrate down from Sth Africa, down the west coast of Oz and into the australian bight, they do this to breed. Thats why there have been so many attacks off of Adelaide's coast, **** sharks getting all hot n horny, need a post-coital snack, ah there is a nice tanned person just waiting on a plate for me...mmmm mmmmm

Yeah I know all that stuff, but was wondering, with the relatively recent phenomenon of year-round surfers in the water, how long it might take for it to become a natural thing for the sharks to actually purposely go to surf areas for human snacks, just like they do now with the seal snacks. If it ever does go that way. I'm not talking about the odd shark attack because sharks and humans happen to be sharing the waters, but more along the lines of an instinct migration specifically to munch on us.

Quote:
When are you guys doing it?

in november. down in bunker bay. barefoot on the sand, then up to that new little cafe nestled in the dunes for a reception. simple but semi-elegant, nothing formal at all. rented a bomb house on the sand at eagle bay for a dozen of us to stay in, and various friend's parent's have houses nearby, so there'll be a gaggle of people hanging out for 3-4 days. we just wanted to celebrate with friends, rather than spend big bucks on dresses and flower arrangements and guff like that.

I like that South African story Spook- A few people we came across over there had some stories too. I didn't see any though.

I had a shark experience a little while back that put the wind up me. There's a beach north of Newcastle that's gaining a reputation as a breeding ground for juvenile and sub-adult great whites. It's the only place in the world where they catch them from the beach.

We surf 35km further north at the other end of that beach. This day I was sitting out a bit further than the others when the classic fin came up 20 meters away heading straight for me (i could almost hear the Jaws theme playing) I decided to paddle in slowly and calmly, all the while looking over my shoulder. The shark must off kept on it path, because as I got in further the water on my right started the foaming white. It was a school of Australian Salmon. The shark was smashing into the school. All this taking place just meters from me.

Although it was a scary few minutes, I wasn't totally freaked out. I don't say this as some sort of bravado. I,ve seen sharks out there before, most locals have, it just didn't look that big. Maybe 8 foot.

Spook- BP. Tying the not ay.... Good on ya's. clap.gif

All the best guys. I like your thoughts..... keeping it real. Spending 25k on a wedding is just bullshite. Some people focus more on the wedding than the marriage.

Originally Posted By: spook
dropping cash on da wedding, or the honeymoon?
we just wanted to throw a mellow party for all our friends for our wedding. but then costs have blown out a bit, the whole shebang will still be about $15kAUS, which is ok i guess. it'll be a 3 day party with a heap of people haning out and enjoying themselves. the eloping thing wasn't really an option for us, as we wanted to celebrate with friends.
whatever, its only money mate, you can always earn more! in 10 years time you're not going to remember how much your honeymoon cost, only that you had an ace time

My honeymoon cost me $20-25k
Wedding was lucky to have change from $650!
It's all abit the place, the people and the memories you make for the future.
That money I dropped on the honeymoon is the best money I've ever spent! and the memories... priceless!
 Originally Posted By: Bushpig
Yeah I know all that stuff, but was wondering, with the relatively recent phenomenon of year-round surfers in the water,

Phenomenon? I only know people that surf all year round, sure there's a small surge in "summer surfers" but recent phenomenon?? wakaranai.gif

Most evidence points to the fact that sharks don't have a taste for us! Most attacks are bites out of curiosity, but due to the size most whitey bites end up being fatal.