As threatened, here's the Koh Samui TR.

With 3 flights each way (Sendai- Osaka- Bangkok- Koh Samui) it was a bit of a trek. Soubriquette managed to navigate us the wrong way on the expressway, causing us to arrive at the airport 20 minutes before departure and creating a certain amount of tension. She also left her ticket at the hotel for the return leg. From now on, I'm in charge of tickets, passports and timing.

I was last in Koh Samui in 1980, when it was backpackers only. An overnight ferry trip from Surat Thani, and accomodation was grass huts on the beach. A gravel road connected a series of fishing villages. Now there's an airport and rampant development. The island is pretty much continuous ribbon development, ugly and totally unplanned.

The hotel was fantastic. $$$$$-star with beautiful grounds, bungalows, superb service and a private beach. The staff were excellent, very friendly, attentive and professional. It was a great place to chill out with soubriquette. The food was ace too. I love Thai food in general, and the seafood was plentiful.

xdsc0019hg1.jpg

xdsc0023vx1.jpg

xdsc0055dx7.jpg

xdsc0051vp8.jpg

We took a trip to go snorkelling. The coral, frankly, was rubbish, but it was still fun. The boat was absolutely barking. A monster Isuzu truck diesel mounted on a swivel, and loud as hell with an unsilenced megaphone exhaust.

xdsc0041tr9.jpg

All in all, a great trip, lots of fun (and beer), but not very eco-friendly.

It was the Tongsai Bay Cottages and Hotel. It was truly excellent, expensive but great value. It was absolutely immaculate, with great staff and attention to detail.

I rang reception for an English newspaper, and English and Japanese papers turned up automatically thereafter.

I was really chuffed with the sunrise shots. It was completely still. I took one from the same angle later in the day, and it's rubbish.

Thankee kindly.

I thought out the shot the day before, and sometimes (rarely) they come off. I have a couple of others to take locally, but haven't managed to get them yet. The D40 is a dream thumbsup.gif

The D40 DSLR is farking great. I'll still carry my Canon in my pocket, but there's no contest wrt functionality.

I was reflecting this morning. Soubriquette and I have been together for 4 years. We never argue and there's never friction, in total contrast to my marriage. It shows it was my ex-, not me. What a wonderful world and a wonderful life.

Next trip looks like Lombok. Anyone been?

no, all it shows is that you and your ex were not a good match, but that you and soubriquette are smile.gif In any case, it's a nice way to be eh Soub! BPG and I are like that. Never fight. Quite a contrast to my previous girlfriend who was very difficult.

I'm glad you and BPG get on so well.

Close but no cigar. No1 son reports that the dickhead (he left his family, two girls aged 1 and 3 to save my ex- from me) argues regularly. No1 was on the phone recently, begging to come to Japan. Both sons love it here because of the peace and absence from daily crises.

You may think I'm exaggerating, but she employs someone to oversee No1's homework because she can't do it without going ballistic.

No mate, I don't think you are exagerating. We have all heard your horror stories about how she treats your kids re talking/visiting you. I was really only trying to say you've obviously found a much better match thumbsup.gif

my best friend divorced 3 years ago. terrible marriage indeed.

she got married again this spring. wonderful match.

enjoyed ur lovely pictures soubriquet, couldn't go last time but there's always a next time.

Koh Samui is beautiful though. Even if it is all big hotel developmets now. I preferred Koh Phagn ngn (spelling??), a lot more rustic, all beach huts, sit sit back and laze as the world hurries by. I meant to go for 3 days (full moon party :D) but stayed for 10, even then we had to peel ourselves away, time was running out on our trip. Its cheap as chips and the people where we stayed were so friendly. The trip across from Surat Thani was pretty eventful. We arrived at 6pm to get the ferry only to be told that everything was cancelled because of a massive storm in the gulf, we had to stay in town with hundreds other FMP revellers waiting and hoping that we'd get out the next morning, which we did, but it was still stormy. waves were crashing into the boat and I was sure we were gonna sink, but we got there in 1 piece.