i posted a question about this in another thread, but have forgotten which thread, oops.

Anyway, what is the story with the Shinkansen and taking your board etc? Do they allow you to take it, if so where do you store it? I've only been on a Shink once and I can't recall seeing many "board-size" places to store my board

cheers

if no space you can put in directly in front of you and hope the person in front doesn't recline. The people that board at Ueno and Saitama are always screwed when it comes to having board stoage space - all us Tokyo hogs take all the available storage straight away...

Yes there ain't that much storage space on the shinks. At weekends on the most popular trains there's often a fair few people standing in the aisles with their gear. Avoid them if you can and you should be ok.

tsonda - the weird thing that I always find on the Nagano shink is that often nobody bothers using the ski / board storage 'cupboards' (for want of a better word) at the end of the carriages. People have looked at me with surprise and wonder as I have pulled down the little bar and stuck my skis in there...

Few people seem to have worked it out...

Tubby - the shelving above the seats on shinks is usually wide enough for boards and ski bags, but of course watch how you balance them...especially if YOU are sitting underneath...

Yeah, I know what you mean, its funny isn’t it. It’s like people are afraid that someone might steal their gear. I would never leave my board out off sight abroad, but don’t worry that much in Japan.

We had no problem on the trains, Tubby Beaver, though we did avoid the peak hours. I also noticed how people seemed to ignore the places for the gear. There aren't many but they often weren't used. Don't spread the word though...!

When I have used the shink often times the top shelves aren't used much at all. I have never had a problem though I do remember a friend telling me once about when the train was totally full - all the isles and all the entrances. He said there was just nowhere for anyone to move. Don't they have an upper limit on the shinks or just keep on piling them in.