I'm not acurrency trader but this is some layman stuff:

USD/JPY To consolidate with positive bias ahead of today''s BOJ interest rate decision, focus on Gov. Fukui press conference statement. USD/JPY underpinned at almost three-month high by stronger-than-expected U.S. April housing starts, industrial production data. But USD/JPY gains limited by profittaking

on JPY carry trades. Japan 1Q GDP data in-line expected. Analysts

expect BOJ to put off raising interest rates until after Japanese July parliamentary elections, cite absence of inflation in Japan, recent weak economic data. Daily chart positive-biased. Immediate resistance at 121.14 (uptrend line from March 12 high of 118.51).

Spuds could tell you more.

Oh right. I highly doubt that the OLs in my office are discussing that.

(And, I am not at all interested in reading anything that "spuds" says, he seemed a rather nasty piece of work).

Charlotte, I think you will find that it is often in the news now as many housewives (as the news programs say) are spending a lot of time going to classes to learn about it and then spending all day on the PC buying and selling to make some money. They often interview a few who are making money every day, then get an expert on who says what a risk it is. Go to a bookshop and you'll see the FX books on the shelves. It's a "my boom".

Mama day traders.. saw a show on them and faaaark that's a scary thought! One show, showed them buying up cheap stocks and with no research just because they were cheap. They don't realise that it only takes 3 yen to lose 30% on a 10yen stock.. made me chuckle..

OL'S I think could do pretty well if they learned abit. Japanese women are supposedly the best savers in the world (exculding my wife!) then they all put it in a bank account yielding .00000001% pa! wakaranai.gif

There is some kind of gov test which translates as something like "Financial planner license". Quite a few of the housewives in my company (part-time workers) are taking courses for it. Not sure how good it is but one lady who has almost finished the course was just saying to me this morning that if she won the lottery she would pay off her whole mortgage so they are obviously not teaching that much!

(Off topic but the lottery conversation was prompted by news that a guy who left our company last year to trade in stock full-time had just won 2700man in the lottery!)