OK so I am looking at the Docomo World Wing service where you can actually take your phone overseas and use it there - people can call you from Japan and you can call Japan etc.

The costs are confusing me and the website etc are not helping clear it up in my mind. If anyone uses that or understands it, please help! Here are the 2 main points that I can't clear up:

- if I receive a call say in the UK from someone in Japan, do I pay for that?

- if I am in the UK and call someone on a normal UK land line in the UK, what cost am I using there?

- if I am in the UK and someone in the UK calls me, do they just call my 090 number or do they need a code. And do they pay a lot or is it like a local 3g call?

I'm sure it's simple really I am just getting confused!

this may or may not make sense to you:

- if I receive a call say in the UK from someone in Japan, do I pay for that?

Yes

- if I am in the UK and call someone on a normal UK land line in the UK, what cost am I using there?

Yes, Roaming cost to you

- if I am in the UK and someone in the UK calls me, do they just call my 090 number or do they need a code. And do they pay a lot or is it like a local 3g call?

They have to dial Japan IDD code first. They will be paying IDD rates. And you will pay roaming charge. It's a double whammy, my favorite.

IDD means International Direct Dialling

On a normal land line telephone you have to talk into the end with the line attached and put the other end to your ear.

I would just get a regular keitai and use Brastel to call home. Much better IMO. If somebody calls me from overseas its free on my keitai cuz I cant use mine overseas; and theyre bloody expensive overseas too. Not worth it...

Do you travel home that much? Do you have to call back to Japan that much? If not, dont worry bout getting that then. If you have internet use skype ;\)

Thanks.

I am ovrseas about 6 weeks a year and basically I want people who don't use skype (ie. most of my work contacts) to be able to contact me on my normal keitai number. I may also need to call back to Japan, but not much.

If it is not too expensive (seems it might be) it would be useful to be able to use the phone within the UK calling normal UK phones.

I do not want this to call overseas from Japan.

Don't listen to Thursday about Japan phones, he's in Hong Kong!

If you have good access to skype in the UK you might also consider getting a skype-in number (local UK), though it's probably not the solution you're after.

You can also ask your questions to DoCoMo: English line use to be: (0120) 00-5250 (not sure if that number is still current but I'm sure you can get hold of it if it's not.)

Because I am not in a hotel, I am in many places, I don't want to give out UK numbers, I don't want to complicate things with other number etc etc. I appreciate the help, but I just want to know how the World Wing thing works and the charges. \:\)

I'll give them a call. Thanks! \:\)

Pick up the pamphlet book they have for World Wing - it has all the costs written in it and an explanation of how it works. Just be careful.... it's not cheap!

• 3 weeks later...