(SNOWBOARD) LIB TECH: 156cm Skate Banana Magne-Traction (by 66jzmstr)

Good technical review. I must admit that there are quite a few words I did not understand (sorry I am an old timer) given that it seems to be more of a park board. When I bought a powder board, I hesitated between Libtech s DoughBoy and Radair s Tanker OS and went for the Tanker eventually as I did not have the balls to go over 190cm and the Tanker was wider. Yet Libtech is famous for its powder boards, it is good to know they are in the other segments as well. Thanks for the review.

Yeah, Lib Tech is probably more known for their all-mountain sticks, however, the recently reissued Snow Mullet (tapered/Fish shape, but not as exaggerated) is definitely a pow killer. Since they put MTX on it, it supposedly holds an excellent edge even on ice and groomers, which is usually the biggest drawback to tapered boards like the Fish or Khyber. There's rumor that the Banana Tech will eventually makes its way to the Snow Mullet since it can take a freestyle stick and make it very pow-friendly.

Originally Posted By: Kumapix
sounds like you work for lib tech.

Regardless, that banana tech seems promising. We'll have to see how it actually works out

Ha! I wish (I think?). Nope, I just teach English to immigrants and refugess, and unfortunately, none of them have flowed me any snow gear yet. ;\)

I used to be really stoked on Mervin boards, but then discovered Capita, Stepchild and some other boards and more or less wrote them off, especially after seeing some of Mervin's tucked edges give out easily. Board longevity/durability is still Mervin's Achilles' heel, but these boards got me stoked on 'em again. And Lib fan or not, Lib's the only company that's truly pushing board shape design technology the last few seasons.

What is your view on the MTX? Is it really an improvement or more gimmick than anything else? I rode a mate' LT board earlier this year but it was in the powder so there wasn't a lot of difference in performance.

The advertising blitz and tongue-in-cheek "turns ice into powder!" marketing might make it seem gimmicky, but it absolutely does what it says it does, which is add/improve edgehold.

That said, MTX isn't for everyone. The majority of people who get to spend more than an hour or two on it really like it. People who ride it for a few weeks and then go back to a standard (non-MTX) sidecut notice quite a different in edgehold.

Personally, I liked it. One of the complaints I've heard with MTX is that you can't lay out carves, Euro-style (think of armpits skimming the snow on a hardboots, very forward-stance setup). Although I'm not one for Eurocarves, I tried to get some high edge angle carves going at higher speeds on the Banana. I'm not going to do any armpit-draggers on a 156 freestyle stick, but I got pretty low and leaned it over, and I could enter, arc, and complete the carve without a problem. (Complaints from earlier/deeper MTX stated it wouldn't allow you into such a decambered carve because the MTX would dig in too soon.)

Another thing I like about MTX - specificaly for freestyle - is that you can detune it like crazy but still hold an edge on the mountain when outside of the park. It's nice to have a board detuned to not catch on rails that you can take outside of the park and not wash out everywhere due to rounded edges.

I've got a 159 (tapered and setback) Stepchild Ranquet for a pow stick. Despite the Fish-like shape, it holds a decent edge when out of pow and on groomers. Lib's Snow Mullet has a similar shape, but the added MTX improves groomer and hardpack edhehold that much more. Another example of MTX making a specific riding style board much more versatile than for its initial intended purpose.

Sorry for the James Joyce-length response, but in short, I like the MTX. Not everyone will, but it does what it says it does (add/improve edgehold), and that's why Lib is adding it to more boards each season. (Only three boards in Lib's line-up for 07/08 will not have MTX. Gnu - and even Rossi - will add more next season.)

• 2 months later...

I still love my trice from 2 seasons ago.

This year I am waiting to get the cygnus x1 161 which has a banana rocker. Really can`t wait to get it , let alone try it out.

Thanks for the review, seems like it`s gonna be a winner. Was almost tempted to get a K2 gyrator but I love my MTX too much. Could never ride a straight edged board again. So decided to shell out the 1200$ based on your review ;\)

I am sure it`ll be great. same things were said about MTX when it came out. but loved it and I am sure this will be a good advancement in board design. I like lib`s way of thinking and trying new stuff in design.

I had actually decided I was going to buy it anyway but after reading what you said I felt vindicated already without having tried it \:\)

• 6 months later...

Finally after a long wait it arrived today. Typical getting it the day after you have been in furano for 5 days with the most awesome snow of the season. But anyway it arrived and the only thing I can note is how light it is and that the magnetraction seems less pronounced than on my 2005 pointy trice. just pressing the rocker down onto the floor and letting go and it jumps a few inches off the floor.

Another noteable thing is that the sidewall is really one as it wraps round the nose and tail unlike most boards I have seen.It`s really noticeable as well as the metal edges not wrapping around(not sure if all libs have that going on).

Aside from all that I can`t wait to ride it soon.Shame I couldn`t take it to furano to really test it in the deep dry snow we had there all week. The snow temp was so cold that my wax didn`t even work well(-22 on thermometer so assuming that the snow would have been colder).

• 5 months later...

I got a MTX a few years ago during a trip to Canada. Since then its been used in mostly icey conditions in scotland and Austria... I can safely confirm that the edge hold is amazing and allows me to whip down icey pistes without any risk of wipeout (unless ofcourse I hit some of the blue stuff).

Mine's a bit short for powder (158) so I'm thinking of buying a new board for if/when I come to the deap powderfields of japan... any recomendations?

• 1 month later...
I got a MTX a few years ago during a trip to Canada. Since then its been used in mostly icey conditions in scotland and Austria... I can safely confirm that the edge hold is amazing and allows me to whip down icey pistes without any risk of wipeout (unless ofcourse I hit some of the blue stuff).

Mine's a bit short for powder (158) so I'm thinking of buying a new board for if/when I come to the deap powderfields of japan... any recomendations?

Lib Tech has a Snow Mullet BTX now. I don't know if I have the coin to drop on it, but it's got a Malolo shape for pow, MTX for when you get back on the groomed stuff, and BTX for extra float. I can't wait to get this stick, myself.

what's btx?

Banana Tech (funky reverse camber stuff) and Magne-Traction (slightly squiggly edges for better edgehold), together abbreviated as BTX. You'll see BTX all over Gnu's and Lib's line-ups this year. Nearly every board has a BTX version.

• 6 months later...

Just picked up the GNU Rider's Choice BTX Wide.

I'm really stoked about this. It was really difficult to find a BTX that was long, wide and in stock! I'll report back once I've used it.

• 2 years later...

I can add some info here for us older dudes I am on my 4th board with the previous ride being a 159 burton uninc which was great but a little to stiff and hard work in the pow for me . Riding is for fun so why make it harder than it needs to be the 159 banana seemed the choice in 2010 . I predominatly ride in Japan Pow and try for 20 to 30 days a year with a rare trip to NZ , being over 40 yep an old dude I am not into rails and big jumps but happy to drop into anything and hike about anywhere for that perfect pow run . I have to say its the best move I have ever made the sales hype at the shop was a little over the top , the board its certainly a little looser at speed hardly noticable for your average smuck howver its shines as a perfect all around choice for traveling light without a quiver i have riden in chest deep stuff and the nana floats with little effort and is certainly able to get by on icy trails if needed on NZ groomers .Compared to my other boards the banana is the pic as an alround Japan trip board that said this year I have picked up a burton fish as well with the hope of a few big days but the banana or equivilant will never be left behind .

Nice save of an old post!! :thumbsup:

Sounds a similar story to mine, though I replaced my much-loved but super-stiff Sapient PNB1 for a Ride Machete. I tried a friend's 'nana and although I liked it, I found it a little too "loose" for me. I therefore ended up with the Machete and it's "lowrize" rocker, which is flat between the bindings but lightly rockered at the tip and tail. There are now so many rocker variations out there, but I reckon it was the 'nana that paved the way! :friend: