love the fotos !! i have been hiking the back country around kagura for about 6 years now. i have been to niseko many many times but kagura is way better!! there is a very worrying trend however. this season i have seen soo many ill - equiped and under experienced riders heading into the back country and out of bounds. How do i know they are under experienced? well, watching someone side slipping down under the lifts or heading into the mountains with no probe poles, shovels etc.. is a pretty good indicator. some of these folks are going to get into real trouble sooner than latter and then the ski patrol are going to put their foot down. i think there should be some kind of ' pass ' where people who have attended obligatory avalanche awareness and have signed a waiver accepting responsibility are allowed to go out of bounds. those who dont have the ' pass ' get their tickets swiped by the ski patrol! simple but effective!

KK its a trend and you will see more and more people heading into the BC in the next few years.

The resorts dont want to open up controlled terrain. Also if you talk to the resort managment they will tell you that if you want powder go climb up there. So everyone will head up there, all the time and at any time.

Gamera, only hiked a couple of times on that day. Once all the way up and the other time a smaller hike up.

As for my forum name to try to pronounce it is probably very hard for english speakers, but anyway let's try:

Something like "S + Air" for Serre and something like "Shuh" (similar sound to duh!).

My japanese sucks so not sure about セルシェ.

Anyway, not expecting anybody to pronounce it correctly, lol.

Nice post and pics in the BC section Montoya. Seeing these 40+ people hiking up reminded me of somebody advertising in one of the threads about organizing groups to go in the Kagura BC. Group size limit was 100 people ! lol.gif

Interesting how much momentum on not such a steep incline the spring avi got. The place where it broke off and how it curved is interesting as well.

Oops gotta run, leaving for Bali today! Leave some fresh for me when I come back.

Quote:
Originally posted by SerreChe:
Something like "S + Air" for Serre and something like "Shuh" (similar sound to duh!).
Anyway, not expecting anybody to pronounce it correctly, lol.
lol ok.
Ahhhh your mother tongue is French, gotcha! I had hard time to try studying French by myself in my student days. I could not handle that French 'r' pronounciation \:\(
It was always like 'Je ne comprends pas ce que vous ditte' wave.gif

Niseko rules isnt it just a way of saying you can enter cerain trees?

Ive never heard of beacon check points in Japan. Ive only ever heard of one place that does that. Stress the heard of point. that place is sunshine village for access to the dive. Too be honest it is so skied out that the beacon required plus partner rule isnt as needed as when it first opened. patrol also controls the place like crazy.

Id love to see japan open up more terrain for those prepared but untill they see the profit in it they wont do it. I do also know that some places are handcuffed by government rules. This is something that Blair or the Impatrol person could clear up.

Montoya thanks for the pictures of kagura the other day they look great. The place is just too far for me. would cost me a fortune to go there straight from kansai. would need to take a bus and I hate buses. If you do come to tateyama this year we will have 4 skiners instead of 2 much easier when breaking trails