Aussies and Kiwis

A cold wet miserable dawn service this morning. This year for the first time I took my daughter along.

Obviously not commemorated in Japan, but I was wondering if any of you guys living over there marked the day in any particular way?

ANZAC (Australian New Zealand Army Corps)

Commemorated every 25th April, the day ( and the hour) that the joint forces landed on the shores of Gallipali Turkey in 1915. The day has a much wider significance though, basically honoring all service men (and women) who served in the major wars since 1915.

A big day down here, public holiday too.

http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac/anzac_tradition.htm

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Aussies and Kiwis
Obviously not commemorated in Japan, but I was wondering if any of you guys living over there marked the day in any particular way?

Yes, marked it with a day of work!

Did my part with taking my grandmother down to the dawn parade, then a small ceremony at our local marae to honour the soldiers from our area that served for the 28th Maori battalion, and died, during WW1 and 2. Then took her down to visit my grandfathers grave to lay out some poppies there for him and to give the place a good cleanup...all before 10am. Oh and the weather was crackingly good.

The Lancashire Fusilliers......They did indeed win 6 VC's that morning.

Did you know that over 1000 of the Lancaster Fusilliers landed on the beach in a big ship, (another botched attempt during a hole campaign full of botched attempts). Of the 1000 men on board, over 500 hundred were killed before they could reach the shore.

>Their claim to fame was the 6 VCs They won before breakfast.

Not to in any way diminish the whole tragedy or the bravery of those men, but what a very English way to describe their achievement. I can imagine the unit’s official history stressing the before breakfast point. It's as if winning 6 VCs of it self isn't remarkable enough. Not only did they win 6 VCs (and suffer terrible casualties in the process), but it was done, mind you, before breakfast. “Before breakfast you say?” “Well, what a truly remarkable achievement. More tea?”

Watched Gallipoli (that classic Aus. 80's movie with a v. young Mel Gibson), finished that, listened to the last post, had my minutes silence, and then off went to work..

Finished off the day with other Aussie clients over yakiniku and beers, went home and watched the aussies flog those hapless Saffies in the cricket..

All up a great day (altho did miss out on the two-up!!)

Anyone get any two-up in??

You know I used to think the same Mantas..

Then I introduced my grandpa to my wife.

He was flying in the airforce in PNG keeping them outta OZ. But he said they all wept the day the US dropped da bombs..

I think you'd be very suprised at how they feel. I don't think there's alot of hate.