Happy New Year!

Went to Hokkaido last year and fell in love with snowboarding instantly! I'm planning on a trip to nagano this feb and would like to invest in some good snowboard gear! Could anyone tell me where about in Tokyo I can shop? To best honest it would be greatly appreciated if some one could give me a few pointers on what to look for when buying!

Thanks a million!

Easy-peasy.

Place - Jinbocho where there are many shops.

But you need to do some research (using the internet) to find out your board size, type of board (freeride or freestyle), bindings (normal or step-in) and brand before you go. Otherwise you'd get hopelessly confused.

I didn't look at the price in detail this year but if you buy the items separately, you should budget for (reasonable quality) (in yen):

Board - 40,0000 to 100,000

Binding - 20,000 to 35,000

Boots - 25,000 to 35,000

Some of the shops do sets (board/bindings/boots or just board/bindings) and you can probably get a beginner set for between 40,000 to 80,000 depending on the combination.

I have no idea whether it is cheaper for girls.

Too save money look at last years kits.

Clothes from last year are usally 50% off. Go to Alpen there for clothes huge selection lots of brand names at discount, I got a new jacket and pants all brands for 20000 yen or about 200 US dollars.

Boards dont know much but skis are maybe much the same. dont by the best board you wont be able to ride it. dont buy a beginner board youll grow out of it fast. I would buy upper mid range you can grow into it and that will go a good 2 seasons at that point you can re-access your level.

Thats from a skiers point of view

any particular boards/boots you guys could recommend? I was searching the internet yesterday, and there were just too many brands out there! I think i would try my hands on freeriding first.

Best deals in Tokyo are to be found in Ochanomizu on the Chuo line from Shinjuku. See if you can pick up bindings and boots made by the same company as they you get the best fit that way. For example Northwave or APX boots with Drake bindings; F50 wmens or F60s, Salomon Poison bindings and Dialogue boots (dont know the name of the womens specific version). Salomon stuff is esp good for learners as they have fast fit boots and bindings making everything faster and easier to do up. You can buy last years model boards for 40,000 yen and should be able to pick up a womens specific set for 40,000 incld boots and bindings, just mid range stuff so if u are doin 20 plus days a year spend a bit more to get quality stuff. Esp dont skimp on bindings as they fall apart the easiest. With clothing look for 10000mm plus water proofing as a minimum.

With boards look for something with a fairly soft forgiving flex, stay away from pro models if u are a learner. Check boardreviews.com for some inside info. If you have the cash make sure u get a helmet and helmet specific goggles and wrist guards come in real handy. Happy shopping.

thank you very much for all your advice. to be honest I have only snowboarded once last year.....haven't even got the hang of it yet! Are the salesperson any good at Ochannomizu? And can they speak english? I can't really speak Japanese...i guess the most i can ask is the price of the gear! :p