The feeling of being totally ripped off

I hate the feeling of being totally ripped off.

Unfortunately I just had to call a support line for a company and it cost 50p a minute. That is just a ludicrous cost and I resent it. It was something that I needed a quick answer for and they had not replied to my multiple emails asking them for help. So I had to resort to the phone (as I am sure other people do when they don't reply to mails). The call took about 10 minutes as much as I was trying to hurry it on.

I feel angry and my wallet has been violated.

mad.gif mad.gif

I will tell you a secret, call up as a company directly to the the headquarters of the vendor. I do it for work but if I have a personal question I do it too. You will be amazed at the great reply you get for the price of a local call.

Say some thing like I have 100xyz switches, how do I configure them for abc. In reality you have one.

You don't seem keen on that Mantas. ;\)

There have been some scandals this last week in the UK with tv phone in shows keeping lines open for longer to get more cash. I think they are cheaper than that though, 50p a minute does sound a totally over the top charge for a call. What was it for 2pints?

Yeah 50p doesnt seem so bad really, often companies use that as their 'revenue model' or whatever, so they can undercut others and get the money back later. I think its fair enough, if you dont need support then why pay for it? If you need the support, buy from a pricier company that offers free support.

By '100 xyz switches' I think yellowsnow means pretend you bought 100s of the product so they think you are a good customer.

I can see that, but they should at least not make the calls longer on purpose as lots of them seem to do. I'll have to try and root out that article I read a few months back on that. Lots of call centres go to India as well, I remember my dad having a rough time understanding one last summer. His hearing is not perfect and the very strong Indian accent and less than perfect English did not help. He got very frustrated.

Something on the phone line costs here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6434249.stm

"At present, you can be charged in two different ways - by the minute, or a one-off connection charge. The maximum charge per minute is £1.50, while the top one-off charge is £1.50, and you can stay on the line as long as you like."

Big business it seems.

do those company fees apply to IP phones?

when I call home to the states, I use my IP phone, like 3 yen a minute. toll-free numbers are no longer free, but 3 yen a minutes is practially free. I wonder if it works the same for those company fee calls.