So what's missing for you? Sure Japan is a great place to be. It ROCKS.. But certian things seem to be missing (or inadiquate) from the lifestyle here.

For me:

• A steaddy stream of neighbors dropping by almost daily to share food, their latest favorite music, or some nice bud.
  • A steady supply of exotic connoisseur grade erb. ;\)
  • Guns and shooting ranges.
  • Skateboard parks.
  • English magazine racks and book-stores.

You?

Gosh you guys... Hasn't anyone been skeet or trap shooting before? Or had the pleasure of building your own black powder rifle and taking it to the range for some target shooting. It's fun and interesting! Archery too yo... Not to mention paint-ball fun.

Not everyone into guns is into sensless killing or the survival scene.

My kids have lots of AirSoft and we often set up a target range on camping trips - or spend time at our smallish indoor range here at home.

Okay, forget I mentioned guns then... :p

gee for someone praising the Japanese way and complaining about the Americanisation of the place in another thread, that guns comment sure is strange confused.gif Not to mention the "erb" comment! Damn corrupting foreigners! ;\) :p

But to your original question...

decent, easily accessible, crowd-free surf.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
gee for someone praising the Japanese way and complaining about the Americanisation of the place in another thread, that guns comment sure is strange confused.gif Not to mention the "erb" comment! Damn corrupting foreigners! ;\) :p
:D
Yupperz.. I reserve the right not only to be subjective and objective in the same forum but also to be inconsistant at any given time.

Hehe...

Quote:

But to your original question...

decent, easily accessible, crowd-free surf.
Where have you tried? I do Wakayama and Chita han. They aren't too bad on a weekday. Wakayama only rocks in Typhoon season me thinks but then it totally rocks!!!

This is a pretty good site for spots:
http://www.outdoorjapan.com/activities/surfing/surfing-maps.html

yeah cheers for that link \:\)

I'm down in Hiroshima, so it is a bit of a mission to get down to the Pacific coast from here. The Sea of Japan is inconsistent at best down this end. Besides, I was really spoilt for choice and quality, growing up in SW Aus. So it takes more than most of what I have seen in this place to stir my stoke. That and the hassle just to get there makes it almost not worth it. Not saying I have never had some fun surf here though.

I know exactly what you mean... I grew up in So. Cal. From highschool age not 3min. from the beach and not 15min. from the famous "Wedge". In grade school we lived on the beach front in Seal Beach.

On the Japan Sea side I hear you really have to watch the weather to catch good swell.

nice! \:\) Yeah, actually I got some of the nicest waves I have had in this place last year right on the heels of some typhoon swell. The waves were dredging really deep and forming some insanely hollow and heavy barrels. It was one of those waves where you take the drop and find yourself looking up out onto the flats cos the wave is creating such a bowl happyglass.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Tesselator:Where have tried? I do Wakayama and Chita han. They aren't too bad on a weekday. Wakayama only rocks in Typhoon season me thinks but then it totally rocks!!!
Waka has good (?) waves in not only Typoon season.
Chita han? Are you talking about Chita hanto in Aichi? Bwah Bwah Bwah all you'll get there is a ear ache from the dirty water. That's where they J surfers go in Typhoons to avoid the Bigs waves.. Funny eh! Big waves FINALLY come and they go look for a fat 1ft beachy!
Irago and shiza are better options.. Nihonkai rocks but in the wrong season.

Yeah, Irago is pretty good. I dunno shiza... or I forgot it...

:p

You don't like long beach? (Chita han) It's not that bad - really. There is some decent surf there sometimes. And they've cleaned up the beach since long ago. It's got a lot of posers but on the other hand 20% or so of the surfers outside are young babes. So that kinda makes up for it me thinks.

LOL, that reminds me of my first Jap-Dewd-Surf-Nazi encounter. I brought my kid down with me so he could ride on the front of my log for a few waves. The rest of the time he played on the beach. No trouble to anyone at all. Toward the end of the day some buff jap-dewd drove up really fast in his van and skidded to a halt in front of my car so I couldn't get out. Then he jumped out of his van and started yelling not to EVER come back there with kids. Too weird...

--