I like it, very informative and helpfull but I am curious about something, virtually every Japanese web site I have visited has a Japanese and English version yet this site seems to be exclusively english.

Where is it based ? Japan or OS and is it targeting the local or OS visitor.

Not a critisim just curious.

Welcome to this site. The target audience of this site is those who: loving skiing or snowboarding; are based in Japan or have some interest in Japan; and who normally speak English but can't spell. (eg. critism instead of criticism). So you should be right at home here.

And I'm the resident nuisance here who loves to tick off everyone, especially Fattwins, by pointing out their typos.

• SnowJapan Moderator

Hi ausi ski bum

We are all based in Japan, the main office is in Niigata and other people involved are dotted around the country. (I'm based in Gumna). Anyone interested in Japan winter sports are the people who are visiting and using us - whether they live in Japan or are just interested in Japan. \:\)

Actually, I am currently putting together an interview/article about the site that will be online (on Snow Japan) probably by the end of January - that will shed more light on things for you \:\)

A very happy new year to everyone from Snow Japan!

Quote:
Originally posted by ausi ski bum:

Oh as for spelling, hey its a Discussion Board spelin is opsional
yep juts ask Fatwins his spelin his atrowish at the best of times, aye? ;\)

Off topic I know, but on the subject of spelling, has everyone seen the National Geographic TV ad, where they write every word in a sentence with the letters jumbled, with only the first and last letter in each word in the correct place, but the sentence is pefectly readable?

Actually, Mantas, you are right. I've just got back from Fattwins place and his keyboard IS faulty. All the alphabets are in the wrong places. But that's not a reason to not pick on him. If it wasn't this, it would be something else.

Quote:
Fattwins has been very helpful with info here and on other boards
He's even more helpful in person, so hurry up and get over there and have a bash now that the powder's good.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
 Quote:
Fattwins has been very helpful with info here and on other boards
He's even more helpful in person, so hurry up and get over there and have a bash now that the powder's good.
Will be skiing Higashiyama Sunday Morning

That's no good, ausi SB, Fattwins is the anti-Niseko representative of this forum. When I was in Hakuba, I didn't even dare mention the N-word in front of him.

BTW, don't just ski Higashiyama, get to the top and traverse to both Annupuri and Hirafu.

I've noticed that there are very few Japanese people on these forums.

The groups I've noticed:

1) Australians asking about Ni... and then disappering after 6 posts.

2) Australian, Canadian and English xpats who have settled in Japan who post daily about their lives. I remebering some dude posted a picture of his garbage and people starting discussing his lifestyle??????

3) People who do more reading than posting. eg, 12 posts since December 2002. etc.

4) Hong Kongers asking about snow in Japan and then disappering after 2 posts.

etc......

Being an English language site, are you suprised by the absnce of Japanese people on the forums?

And I know it's not good community spirit, but some people will log in and get just about all the info they need from viewing the threads, without necessarily needing to ask their own question, or for that matter inputting any feedback themselves. And well, with the large number of threads running, it's hard to have an opinion about every one of the topics worth sharing, either out of lack of expertise, experience or interest.

I'd put myself in category 3, but I like to think the posts I do submit are either interesting or helpful, and restricted to those subjects for which I have something worth sharing with the community.

Even if I live and work on the Gold Coast...

• SnowJapan Admin

We do not know exact numbers at the moment for this season but probably less than 1 in 5 people who visit Snow Japan even visit the Forums section of the site.

Less than 10% of all the people who visit the Forums ever actually post on the Forums. (A similar story is very probably repeated on most forums on the web).

Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
Actually, Mantas, you are right. I've just got back from Fattwins place and his keyboard IS faulty. All the alphabets are in the wrong places. But that's not a reason to not pick on him. If it wasn't this, it would be something else.
lol.gif
actually I think his thought processing faculties are faulty! ;\) :p The funny thing is that he will probably not even read this thread. More burns on FT with no chance of a comeback! lol.gif