I am thinking of going wireless. But the specs of the things I need to buy confuse me. I don't want to buy a wireless lan box that is crappy, but don't want to buy something too expensive either. Anyone got any good recommendations/experiences?

Thanks in advance.

I paid about 8000yen for my wifi router at yamadadenki. it just plugs into the normal modem router. was easy to set up. Buffalo ones are usually easy to set up but i went with corega too because it was about 300yen cheaper. I think I have this one IIRC:

If you are on air its not as fast as it would be when using a LAN cable. But it won’t make a noticeable difference when you open a page or download small things. If you plan to use it for torrents, you can always connect straight to the router with a LAN cable and bypass the air station.

I can't remember the model number but I've got a "mimo" one from Buffalo that supposedly does double "g" speed if you use their card. Its a horizontal job with three antennas. I live in a big house and the coverage is pretty good over two floors. It's fast enough for those naughty streaming tv programs like PPlive and TVants.

If you live in a small place, a cheap one will probably do.

I also have a "mimo" one. The good thing about it is that it has really strong signal and it doesnt hang up the connection every once in a wile, like some of the very cheap ones.

By the way muikabochi, dont forget to set wapp-key password or something as soon as you set up the station. Last thing you want is to have your neighbours highjacking your station and occupying part of your bandwidth. ;\)

I was sitting on the bus from Chitose to Sapporo, and once we hit the outskirts, I could connect to unsecured wireless LANs when we stopped at traffic lights, not long, but long enough to download emails and some web pages. Was cool watching the LANs (dozens of them) come in and out of range, and trying to log in before the bus had moved too far... felt cool anyway... for a geek \:o Getting real-time GPS data at the same time, tracking route into Sapporo. Still managed to get off at the wrong stop.

I'm on a 54Mbps WLAN at home now, I can't really tell tell the difference between this and ethernet connection (yes I know it's 50% slower), but you can tell the difference between sitting at a terminal and sitting by the pool cool.gif

Mine is a mimo one too - can hardly tell the different from that and the cable connection. It's good to be able to take the notebook anywhere in the house.

Lots of them (all of them) now have 4 cable spots as well so you can use wireless or cable.