Basically your settop box is a tuner. My tuner is built into my TV. My HDD doesnt have a tuner. So to record Sky I have to plug the output from my TV into my HDD recorder.

Should be simple but it doesnt work. The problem is the TV out signal - either the HDD wont recognise it because it is too high quality, or I need to fix some setting on the TV to make it output the signal properly.

An English manual would work wonders in this situation.

Is there no picture at all, or a garbled picture?

Are you getting sound?

Is the HDD set to the correct input source?

PAL vs. NTSC vs. Auto?

Digital vs. analogue?

An English manual... can you get your Japanese one translated by someone?

no picture at all. as if its not plugged in or something. no sound. hdd is set to correct input source (tested by running the old dvd player output into it). dont think pal/ntsc has anything to do with it.

the only thin gleft is digital/analouge which may be it. there is an output on the TV and it says 'digital' and has 3 sockets plus an s-video. i tried the s-video but it didnt work. im using analogue cable, but if its wanted digital cable then that migth be the problem. im gonna get the wife onto the manual tonight.

according to the website ( toshiba cs3200 ), the TV output I have is デジタル放送録画出力端子

(S1映像出力/映像出力/音声出力)*7

S1:1/映像:1/音声:1[L・R]and something called hikari. I reckon if I get component cable I might be able to get this MF working.

Will look at the manual and get some new cables tonight and get back to ya.

Doubt I can get a refund, bought it off rakuten. But it can surely be made to work. jishin ga arimasu yo.

Bobby

The website for your tv on "digital output" has a footnote numbered #7 attached to it. The footnote says that you can record CS110, but digital programs are outputted after conversion to a 480i (original DVD standard?) analog signal.

Your recorder doesn't have a component (i.e., three wires for video) video input. From a quick look at the websites for both machines, you'll have to connect your tv to the player with S-video.

As a follow-up to my own question about divx compatible DVD players, the ones with the best compatibility for downloaded videos like divx, xvid, and wma are made by the computer peripheral manufacturers Buffalo and I/O Data. They claim to play pretty much anything, including srt/sub subtitles (ymmv on how they look or garbled characters), and can be connected to wifi. They're quite expensive though, so I think I'll just get some cheapskate Chinese jobbie for 5,000 yen that does all kinds of dvd and then divx only. A company called "Evergreen" sells them.

Wiggs:

The dvd-recorder definately has component input on the back, and DV input on the front, so I can connect to it with digital cable I think. Just havent got round to buying it yet.

A guy from Toshiba is coming today to look at the TV cos of a different problem (wont turn on properly - probably due to the cold) so he is hopefully gonna look at why the TV out isnt working too.

As for divx players, I think you can get standalone divx media players that plug into your tv. they dont do DVD but they handle a lot of video codecs. That might be cheaper and more versatile for you if you already have a DVD player.

Bobs

The Zox recorder you linked to has this

radA560A.jpg

The only video inputs I can see are a yellow (composite??) one and the S-Video arranged vertically second from the right. Component video means three wires just for video. Your player has component outputs (green, purple, red) arranged vertically third from left, but no component inputs in that photo or the description below it.

Good luck to you setting it up.

Whoever thought of "component" and "composite" as names for different but similar things deserves a good kick in the goolies.

I see, yes you are right. I was assuming the digital ones (jesus still dont know if component is digital or the analogue one) were input but they are output. a bit wierd. so i have to use the DV input on the front of the machine then to put in a decent input. thats not gonna look so nice \:\( I wonder if the improvement in picture quality is worth it, its getting watered down to 480i anyway as you mentioned so I wonder if its worth getting a HDMI/digital -> DV cable.

The guy from toshiba came today. the wife said he got it to record CS110. On the TV you gotta select 'record' before the output will work correctly. god knows why it isnt just permemnently on that record setting as it makes no difference to the screen display. so you gotta press record on the TV and the dvd record before you can record anything.

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby12:
On the TV you gotta select 'record' before the output will work correctly. god knows why it isnt just permemnently on that record setting as it makes no difference to the screen display. so you gotta press record on the TV and the dvd record before you can record anything.
That is mad. It's probably copyright-paranoia driven, but mad all the same. Does that mean you have to leave the tv on and set to "record" to use the timer on the recorder?

Great to hear you got it working though.

My DVD player is buggered for the second time in three years, this time out of guarantee, so I'll need something that plays DVDs again. Just as well I only paid 6,000 for the last one.

Probably! The selling point was that its region free and does PAL on NTSC. Ask for that in an ordinary Japanese electrical store and you'll see the holy mother of blank stares.

You can youyaku the program you want to record, and I guess it should work so long as you set the timer on the dvd-r as well. I havent tried it at all though to be honest, so busy in the evenings looking after the nipper and enjoying LOST in my hour of peace before bed. Will test it out this weekend though.

My old DVD region-free PAL/NTSC player is going for sale for 3000yen if you want it, but it doesnt do DIVX and doesnt record..

If you want one that does divx and records, the one I just bought is OK, I think you cant get one cheaper for what it offers. It has a JP/EN OS, and it works. It plays everything and anything, it hasnt refused any cd/dvd/avi yet. Once or twice it has 'frozen' though and I had to switch it off and on. Also, it takes a while to bootup when you first switch it on. I think basically it has a very slow CPU in there and if you press too many buttons on the remote control it freaks out. But theres not a massive amount of choice for dvd/hdd recorders that are region free and can play divx!

Most of the name brand (read: expensive) units will still do region-free, you just have to enter the code, which usually involves a quick Google search with model name and "region free hack" as the search terms. I thought they all did PAL-NTSC and vice versa...

I did the el cheapo Kendoor dvd player like Wiggz.

going strong after 2 years of solid use (mainly wiggles & Buzz).

I'll maybe get a better player in the future when my kids are alittle older and when they might be able to handle it with abit more TLC.

Thing is, I have spent 6k and it's perfect, so why the need to spend the extra? Most people look quickly and think it's Kenwood anyway!

I just can't trust the cheapies... my personal hangup, I enjoy knowing that when I have something, it's the best I can afford. I know that if we ran them side-by-side, I'd never pick the difference, but I just can't help myself... \:o

Yes, my name is keba, and I have more money than brains (which says more about my intellect than it does the size of my bank account...) and I'm a brand name junkie, and I'm relieved to have it out in the open. No more shame!!!

clap.gif