Today my friend and went to Nagaoka and also went for a drive up through Yamakoshi. Yamakoshi is the little village that was flooded and evacuated due to the Chuetsu earthquake 2 years ago. Lots of rebuilding going on and unfortunately a lot of concrete appearing on the mountainsides. (There was even a tiny skijo that looked quite abandoned).

It's a really pretty area though.

I knew it was famous for koi carp but was surprised at just how many koi farms there are up there. We must have counted 20-30 different places just in that one village. (We didn't see any of the cows that it's also well known for though... I remember seeing lots of those getting a helicopter ride after the earthquake).

I've uploaded some photos:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/photo_section.php?userGallery=73&userid=joshnii

Didn't see any cows!

Tons of carp places though. It's really pretty they could surely rebuild it and make it a good place to visit. I wish they'd just go easy on the concrete though.

• 6 months later...

You may remember during the Chutsu earthquake a baby boy being found and brought out of a collapsed mountain-side... unfortunately his mother was not so lucky. Anyway, recently they have re-opened that rebuilt road. It was quite busy when we went. I was surprised there wasn't any kind of memorial or even a place to stop. Perhaps they will do that later.

sanjo_37.JPG

sanjo_39.JPG

sanjo_38.JPG

sanjo_40.JPG

Originally Posted By: sanjo
You may remember during the Chutsu earthquake a baby boy being found and brought out of a collapsed mountain-side... unfortunately his mother was not so lucky.

I remember that. The poor little tyke spent 3 days standing in a buried car with his dead mother and sister. It made me weep.