To rival the PC desktop geek thread, I give you the internet bookmaking discussion. Have a good weekend.

I just realised that I don't use internet bookmarks. If something gets bookmarked it is likely something I will never look at again, and if I do look at it in the future its not via my bookmarks as nearly always forgot it is bookmarked in the first place. Bookmarking stuff is mostly useless as it just goes in the huge pile. This is how I operate:

1. for very frequently visited sites I simply type the first few letters of the url. Example: typing 'snowj' brings up what I need for this forum. I have about 5 frequently visited sites that fit this technique. 'goo' brings up google. 'you' brings up you tube.

2. For less frequently visited but worthwhile sites, I just use Google.

My bookmark folder is a black hole.

For its sheer size and popularity, the internet is useless until you want to learn about something that up until that moment you didn't have a motivation to research. Yesterday I researched light weight monoculars. The internet served me well. Other than that, I frequent about 5 websites, if that.

Quote:
gee this one generated a lot of interest spud...
Don't be sarcastic bushy. I checked the recent visitors section and Spud's topic is the most visited! This is where all of the cool kids are at, dude! It's just that nobody's actually getting in on the action yet.

Spuddie is a funny guy.

Autocomplete is your enemy one day and your friend the next ;\)

First of all, throw that Internet Explorer out and get Firefox.

Tabbed browsing is the mothership.

( IE7 does it too, but very slow and bad)

Organize your favorite sites in folders and open them in tabs.

RSS feeds is great to get a fast overview on news.

Quote:
Originally posted by db le spud:
Bookmarking stuff is mostly useless as it just goes in the huge pile. My bookmark folder is a black hole.
I have a huge bookmarks folder I had it all in folders but they kept growing and it got harder to quickly find stuff so I fixed that and now do something similar to you when I want to go to page, I type in a few letters in the 'quickfind' search box at the top of the bookmarks column and find stuff that way eg 'img' will bring up image shack, 'stu' will birng up 'stuff' the nz news site etc. Opera and Firefox browsers naturally have this efficient feature...
When I find an interesting site I bookmark it for a rainy day or to save me searching through google when I want to access that info in the future.

I do the same I have a "bin" bookmark folder where I just put things I come across for later. Every so often (or maybe thats not every so often) I go in, take a look and clean it up as necessary.

I have a pretty well organised bookmarks folder with 12 main directories each containing several sub directories. But I need it for my work, only one of the directories is 'personal'.

Dont forget Firefox's 'bookmark toolbar folder' - this one you can put your most used bookmarks in and they display at the top of the broswer underneath the toolbar with the back button in it. I have about 20 bookmarks in there, I shorten the text description to zero characters and just use the icon to save space. Most sites like gmail, bbc news etc have decent favicons so you dont need to write 'bbc news' etc next to the icon.

The Toolbar folder is a good, the buttons easy to use.

Most of my browsing is done at work and we have IE.

Thunder - I don't like autocomplete in email where it includes every addresses ever to pass through my account, people I have never sent a mail to and I am unable to clear the memory or remove the meaningless addresses. This is not the case for URL autocomplete where clearing the cache thingy causes autocomplete to lose it memory.

Bushy - you are mean. This Friday Geek thread is still active the following Monday, which is more than I could say fro my previous Work Week in Review thread.

Work browsing: Germany is very regulated from an employee protection perspective, its very difficult to sack someone. We have all been asked to sign agreements limiting internet usage to 20 minutes per week, with individual user monitoring. My SJ days are about to slow down somewhat.

Ah, but spud, your Work Week in Review thread was much more interesting and, you only have yourself to blame for its loss of interest on your previous post.

Quote:
I can't be arsed writing a review this week.

Besides, your cow pic carried over onto another thread... over here...

so it didn't really lose interest, so much as jumped threads.

spud, i promised to get back with that auto complete-hell you are going thru.

i have been trying real hard to find out where outlook express stores those names, with little luck.

It is easier with outlook (the version for grown up's)

I think nicknames are stored inside your address book itself, but i really don't know. deleting your address book every time you start up your pc probably wont make you happy.

Me being a geek? well you judge!

challenges are fun though

I only recently found out about Outlook being another product. Poor naming as I always thought Outlook was a shortening of Outlook Express. I will look for my Office disk and install the grown up version (I always wondered why Outlook Express didn't have a calendar).

If I change versions, you wont need to find me a solution and I can start being rude to you again ;\)

Quote:
Ah, but spud, your Work Week in Review thread was much more interesting and, you only have yourself to blame for its loss of interest on your previous post.
I think the Friday geek thread is OK, --'OK' as in 'so so'-- but I agree with bp that the Work Week in Review thread was definitely more interesting. To be fair though, I don't think that Spud is the sole reason for its recent lack of interest. Spud's colourful rants are certainly inspiring but I think we all have a responsibility to keep that one going. And not only is it an entertaining thread but it's also functional. For example, I voiced a concern about the Grumper thread on WW in R, and low and behold, the SJ community took head, and the grumper thread is all but gone! The WW in R thread can be whatever we want it to be. The more we put into it, the more we get out.

OK. I'll let you guys get back to your computer talk. ;\)
 Quote:
I use the bookmarks in the Yahoo toolbar. I like it cos the bookmarks are the same whichever computer I'm using. Wouldn't be able to find half the sites I want without it.
Try delicious - similar thing but you are not tied to spammy toolbar.
 Quote:
Originally posted by ger:
To be fair though, I don't think that Spud is the sole reason for its recent lack of interest. Spud's colourful rants are certainly inspiring but I think we all have a responsibility to keep that one going. And not only is it an entertaining thread but it's also functional. For example, I voiced a concern about the Grumper thread on WW in R, and low and behold, the SJ community took head, and the grumper thread is all but gone! The WW in R thread can be whatever we want it to be. The more we put into it, the more we get out.
Bollocks! It is entirely his responsibility!

And thanks for reminding me about the grumper thread too mate! ;\)
 Quote:
OK OK It's true. But give the poor guy a break. He's obviously having a bad day. You should see what he's doing to poor Uncle Mantas... ... in the vegemite thread of all places!
 Quote:
 Quote:
OK OK It's true. But give the poor guy a break. He's obviously having a bad day. You should see what he's doing to poor Uncle Mantas... ... in the vegemite thread of all places!
The sequence that lead to this cracked me up.

And I appreciate Ger's insight and useful portrayal of the way things should be.

Quote:
To be fair though, I don't think that Spud is the sole reason for its recent lack of interest. Spud's colourful rants are certainly inspiring but I think we all have a responsibility to keep that one going. And not only is it an entertaining thread but it's also functional.... The WW in R thread can be whatever we want it to be. The more we put into it, the more we get out.
Ger shows imigaination, natural leadership and rational balance [must remember not to piss him off in the future].

See Bushy, see the way he bought you in line without any form of grating. The force is strong with him.

Hi Ger wave.gif

Really? Did he now spud? Checked the revived grumper thread recently? He sure brought me into line there eh!

Quote:

For example, I voiced a concern about the Grumper thread on WW in R, and low and behold, the SJ community took head, and the grumper thread is all but gone!

besides, he conceded that what he said was bollocks in his next post! :p Selective reading eh spud?

Quote:
quote:Bollocks! It is entirely his responsibility!

i usually bookmark sites when im just browsing the internet and come across something that i might not have time to read right away.

i use the typing-into-the-address-bar-and-wait-for-it-to-find-the-link technique for most of my "usual" sites.

now that im writing my thesis (thats right DB, this "silly high school student" is 6 months away from finishing her 4 year undergrad. how time flies) im finding myself bookmarking a shedload of online journals and whatnot.