Originally Posted By: Mantas
Wouldn't it be freaky if someone set up a surf/snowboarding resort?

last year, i skieed one day and the next had a surf at newie. it was colder in the surf.. brrr...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok boys.. need some advise!

Ballina Vs. Pt. Mac

Have the opportunity to probably work in either place for the same co.

Any knowledge of either place you want to pass on? (about living, jobs 4 wife, schools etc)

chairs...

Ballina would be a nicer place, imho..

and you have lots of really top surf on your back door.

dont know much about port mac..

it seems to be a town full of retirees...

both towns would have the same sort of infrastructure i think..

Hey fellas! Haven't been on here for a while. How's everyone going? I've had a few good small surfs back here in Perth, and BPG has been coming out with me and doing well to battle out through the waves. The other morning I was driving the coast with my camera (not realizing the surf was gonna be any good!) and I stopped at Trigg to get some shots. I wished I had my board! Anyway, here are a few pics.

324151430_etSNn-L.jpg

324153587_3V8kG-L.jpg

324156983_jtrvf-L.jpg

324157379_gmrMH-L.jpg

324157864_UqPzw-L.jpg

324159531_98nxj-L.jpg

324160030_6iJvJ-L.jpg

324160404_hjW4x-L.jpg

324161534_Bdmoe-L.jpg

Nah, they were on them. Those were just a few of the shots. I realized later I was taking shots of the waves rather than the surfers for the most part. It was breaking quite nicely actually.

So your still alive BP thumbsup Good to see.

Nice pics mate. Is

Indo_ I've spent a bit of time at Port Mac. I've been going up there once a month for work for the past 6 six years. It's a nice town. Very tidy with good facilities. It's had a bit of a boom in recent years. Load of infustructrure, lots of retail outlets ect. It's quite a nice place BUT........

Not really much to offer in the surf department. I often take my board with me but seldom use it. Good waves to the north and south though. I think Ballina is a bit more hip and happening.

PM me if you want to know more.

Random question for you guys - now that summer's back in Japan, had my first day out in shorts yesterday. Had a great day but was eventually forced out the water after five hours because the damn things had given me an angry red rash on the inner thigh. Or maybe it wasn't the shorts themselves but the absence of "support" you get from a wetsuit. This killed me week in week out last summer but I forgot about it over the long wetsuit season. This ever happened to any of you guys? I know it sounds pretty weird but do people ever wear underwear with shorts? Sorry to interrupt the conversation with this but it stings like hell and makes me walk around like a damn cowboy for the next few days...

yeah kingy.. boardies rash is a killer.

You really have to choose your materials right. Some of the lightweight stuff is pretty coarse on the inside. and watch out for seams too.

Also it may take a few surfs to toughen up that part of ya skin especially in warm water where it gets soft quickly.

5 hours is a fair go mate, I think most would be rashed after that!

If you can't get out often, try some wetsuit shorts. (gay looking but no rash)

ps. I'd love boardies rash now, it'd mean I wouldn't be in a frikkin sealed 4/3!

Yeah, i surfed a bit in board shorts last summer, and yes I got a bit of a rash happening too. Definatly much better with a wetsuit on, even a thin one.

5 hours! Man, do you take your lunch out with you?

Good waves today. Punchy 4 footers, a few barrels too. I just bought a new 6'6". Two inches shorter than my old 'short' board. I must be getting fitter. smile

5 hours,!!! no wonder you have a rash...

I would get a rash under my arms sometimes from paddling. it went away after i surfed more and more.. aloe vera helps.. imho..

Had a beauty here yesterday too Mantas.. almost ready to hit my 6'6 too. 11 years in Japan hasn't done a great deal for my surfing, but she's slowly coming back!

King... were you in for 5 hours straight? or was that 5hrs over the whole day?

I've only ever been out longer than 5hrs in 1 session once.. @ Lakeys 5am session and just kept getting bazz after bazz and couldn't bring myself to paddle in!

Hello guys. Good to know I'm not alone. I pitched up in the morning and was in the water before 9 (later than I'd like but had been at the bottle the night before). Had a pleasing start but then couldn't seem to grab anything after that - I have a pretty dodgy relationship with my board right now. Then I managed to borrow something bigger from a guy in the water and was having more luck, but was getting a bit cold after about 2hrs in. Thought I'd catch another couple with my own board before heading back but for some reason this time round I couldn't stop getting waves and was having the time of my life! For some reason there weren't so many people at that exact section of the beach, so everyone took it in turns unlike the usual Chiba free for all, with some pro-looking guy providing entertainment as well. Probably nothing special for you Aussies but pretty cool to watch for me. I'd had one onigiri for breakfast but was too busy having fun to get hungry (until I got out). Then I burned the soles of my feet walking on the black sand like a complete fool, changed and out of there by 2:30. I guess when you're a weekend warrior you want to squeeze everything you can out of each trip.

Nice effort Kingo. You must be really enjoying your surfing.

I think my record is about the same, 5 hours, that was at Jefferies Bay South Africa.

My bro did 7 hours at Naraloo,( Western Oz desert)

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Nice effort Kingo. You must be really enjoying your surfing.
I think my record is about the same, 5 hours, that was at Jefferies Bay South Africa.
My bro did 7 hours at Naraloo,( Western Oz desert)

I am really enjoying it, but I am still very much a beginner. Still, that just means that progress comes faster. I am heading out to Bali this summer, which I can't wait for, but does require me finding a solution to this rash if I'm going to be at it for several days in a row!

Kingo, sounds like you hit it and over 11am ish is the lunch-timers yasumi time, so thta's why the crowd probably dispersed.

It's all about having fun,so as long as you are then who gives a fook how long it is!

Coz when you are having fun time means nothing..

@ Lakeys one morning (I was always on the 5am session!) I was out by myself for 30 mins but in a total of under 90 mins I had 20 solid waves under my belt and to today I will always remember the count.. Me 17 (deep pits) Lakeys 3 (on the head, ground into the reef on the inside!)

ahhh... full stormy here today. Can only dream about warm waves!

ps. great to see some life in this thread again, even if it is about rash!

17-3, pretty good score! I think it will be a while before I get a win at any spot, but as long as I get a few on the scoreboard I don't mind taking a drubbing! I did get a bit hungry but I was parked a bit far away from where I was actually surfing and it all seemed like a bit too much effort to give it up... anyway I didn't want to brave the walk across the hot black sand! Won't forget my sandals next time!

Yeah Tsonda I did have a rash guard on Saturday but sadly it doesn't protect me below the waist... maybe I need a rash leotard or something... giving me visions of the mankini... shifty