Restaurants. I like them to be clean. (And no picking nose chefs)

Some of the ramen places near where I live look so dirty and run down, I was amazed to find out that they would actually be able to serve food to the public.

Then again lots of restaurants here I feel are very clean.

But over the weekend I saw 2 things that I really didn't like.

1) A sushi chef - not wearing gloves - picked his nose and then continued working on his fish.

eek.gif

2) Restaurant where there were Japanese style tatami booths, so you take your shoes off. The waitress than was moving all the shoes about, then the next minute bringing food out. No washing of hands there, I was watching.

One of Japan’s biggest contradictions is the concept of hygiene.

I have found America and Australia to be often quite strictly hygienic, whilst Japan and Europe (and a lesser extent the UK) are for the most pretty unhygienic. You haven’t seen grubby until you have seen a French or Italian café squat toilet.

As for nose picking, Japanese and Germans are the only people I have worked with who will, with a straight face, pick their nose and roll it in their fingers whilst talking to you.

You ate snot sushi.

I remember a story about a local Indian takeaway where I used to live. Story was that some of the sauces was more, er, natural than others. Done just for fun.

I always wondered if there was any truth to that.

Heard similar stories before. In a case near where I was at college, rumor has it that it was a competitor just trying to grab some business.

There's a small ramen place up near where we live. I wouldn't eat there if you paid me.

I can't stand it when a restaurant isn't very clean. Once I picked up a fork in a restaurant that was just gross. It has a few mm thick old hardened food on it. It was awful. I walked out of the place and made a strong complaint.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaoman:
I remember a story about a local Indian takeaway where I used to live. Story was that some of the sauces was more, er, natural than others. Done just for fun.

I always wondered if there was any truth to that.
The Plaza Cafe in Manchester where I used to enjoy the fantastically cheap African-style chicken curry was reported to have been busted for having a couple of Alsatians in the freezer. It makes a great story until you realize how much more expensive Alsatians are than chickens.