Ive a friend who was know for being "carefull' with his money. His dad took him aside one day and said "I think you had better unlock your wallet, you dont want people nicknaming you 'Whisper'" He changed overnight.

To buy a round in Australia is to 'shout' the drinks.

>I go to a few local places with ticket vending machines for the drinks- I really like that system, no fumbling cash to the barkeep, just give him a ticket.

Snowglider, you really got quit hanging out around the Hankyu beer kiosks mate :p

I find there are two drinking situations here:

1) I go out with the teachers at my school and have never been allowed to pay - not for food, beer, baseball games, shot bars, etc.. They drink like fish and turn bright red after the first "kampai." Always try but it hasnt worked for 3 years, so I quit bothering. Get a free "I dont wanna have another one of these nights for quite some time hangover."

2) Out with my mates. We all have a very similar style of drinking, enjoy quality alchol, and take our time (whateverthehellthatmeans) enjoying the beer. End up buying in rounds but its not like its ever stated or pushed on anybody. I always enjoy beers with my mates.