i think that person needs to have insurance for all drivers. I drove for a year thinking I was covered by my then-girlfriends plan, only to find that it only covered family members. Luckily I didn't have any accidents!

ok thanks - what about for example - person A is selling a car to person B and the name change has already taken place.... so person B's name is on the shakken now and they are the official owner, but person A (although now longer technically the owner) is going to drive the car for another week or 2 and still has the insurance they had before. is that ok do you think? is person A covered even though the car is in person B's name - yet person A has insurance for that car?

I think the shaken will give you basic third party personal insurance no matter who owns the car as long it is current, but shaken does not cover third party property, this is the gray area.

hmmmm this whole thing is a grey area.... i have 2 cars in my name right now and 2 different people driving them from tomorrow..... i can't wait until the end of this week, when i should be sorted out (well almost on one of them).

Ive your cars are involved in a accident and are the driver at fault and you have no comprehensive insurance it spells trouble.Shaken only covers third party personal, in other words who ever the name the shaken is in will be responsible for any cost, i learnt this the hard way last winter, just finished paying of a new Delica!

ok the other car - if the person buying my car gets insurance for it, but we have not yet changed the name on the car, it is ok for the buyer to drive it? can they get insurance for a random car on which their name is not on the shakken yet?

no, you need to provide shaken and name registration details to get insurance. By the way, my policy doesn't charge me any extra to have another person covered to drive. And I'm under 30.

Cheeers bushy! It's too much hassle to start asking lots of questions (or it seems too much hassle in japan anyway) about what my insurance entails now, as i'm actually calling up on Tuesday to cancel the insurance on the car i'm selling ---- though i think i have solved my problem ---- i shall just go to the name changing place too and thus drive the car until the name is changed, then the new owner can drive it from then and sort out the insurance for themselves. But very good to know that you can't get insurance without shakken and name reg details. So the new owner can only organise the insurance on the car, after the name change process is complete, and not before? Is that right?

cheeers bushy that's definitely good to know - in that case i'll definitely wait until friday and do this name change process again (already did it last week for the new car i'm buying) ---- that way no one else will be driving my car until the name is changed over, and so no worries about insurance.

Hey Bushpig, I'm interested to know who your insured with as my agent sticks it to me for under age drivers, maybe the type of car makes a difference- i drive a late model landcruiser?

Every co has a different policy.

Some will hit you for extra if you want to have other people insured while driving your car.

My mate has only himself insured so that means I CAN'T drive his car on long trips back from the surf! clap.gif