I have noticed with vpod often the random play doesn't seem to be all that random. It may well be, it just doesn't seem that way.

1 thing I find curious.

I have settings on random.

I play a song.

Then the next song comes on.

I hit back a few times to listen to a few songs again.

Then I hit forward and the same songs that played before play in the same order. I would have thought that if it was random the next songs would be different ones.

So does vpod think of her complete random playlist in advance when it starts and just stick with that til the end?

Does this make any sense.

\:D

yep, i-tunes works that way with the party shuffle function. IT chooses random songs 5, 10 or however many you set it for, in advance. Maybe the ipod works the same way.

I don't think so because that would greatly reduce its randomness. Meaning once one song has played then it can't randomly appear again until at least the rest of those 10 000 have played. I'm just guessing but if it does generate a list ahead of where it is playing, my guess is that it would only do so up to a predefined (and relatively low) number.

Actually, sort of. Spinning the hard drive takes a lot of juice and eats up the battery quickly, so to minimize this, ipod generates a random playlist, spins the disk once to save those (think about 20) songs to its memory chip, then when it nears the end of playing those twenty songs, does it again for the next 20 or so. The shuffle function gives you the longest playtime per battery charge.

v- thats the reason you can go forward and back- the songs are still in its memory chip.