I've come to realize that I won't be completely happy until I have a nice chin-up bar in my house.

Does anybody have one, and if so, where did you get it? I don't like the look of the 'twist and fit (in fact not fit, just slip)' types. The cantilever type look much better.

In fact, this place looks the business:

http://www.ultimatechinningbar.com/

But, if anybody has any recommendations, please post 'em up.

Cheers.

What do you want with a chin-up bar? I hate to disillusion you but using that thing won't make you any taller! I recommend you install a bottoms-up bar instead, then I'll drop by for a few beers.

How are the plans for the new house coming along? Any progress? And have you emptied some space in you PM box yet?

Ha ha! Everything in moderation, balance is everything. There will be a bottoms up bar too, and you'll be welcome. I fondly remember doing chin ups off the guard rail above the stairwell in my university dorm after 4 or 5 pints in the pub. I also vaguely remember falling downstairs attempting the same thing after 6 or 7 pints. The two kinds of bars are a perfect match.

PM box emptied. Lots of abuse going on in there...

Yes, there's been some progress. We've found a builder, and we've spoken to Pops about redirecting some of his retirement funds.

What's this about the Pops redirecting some of his retirement funds? I've always tried to avoid that if possible because that comes attached with him having a say in how everything is built and he gets a permanent room there too!

> I've always tried to avoid that if possible because that comes attached with him having a say in how everything is built and he gets a permanent room there too!

Pops doesn't swing by often enough (like, never) to have a room, and so far he's had only helpful things to say. (He learnt the hard way about saying unhelpful things - I didn't talk to him for 5 years. We're proud, stiff-backed people.) Actually, I'd like to be able to tempt the old folks to come and stay in our own place. Previous places have been too small and uncomfortable.

> Tell us more about the house.

Thanks for the rock climbing idea. My house in Manchester had one of those made of some horrible pumice-like composite. Using it hurt like a bastard in every possible way. The wooden one might be worth a try though.

Pics of the land here .

Builder's website here .

We're looking at 2x8 construction with triple glazing. Hopefully solar if Pops comes through with the slotties. We're also looking at processing our own turds onsite with some baffle tanks and a goldfish.

Did I mention that the house will have a chin-up bar? It might just have to be built in somewhere unless Indo or even miteyak chime in.

yeah, those two would have some interesting ideas too. Miteyaks old gym here was insane! He had everything you could ever want/need.

O11, they do have boards like what Mr. W. pointed out that dont kill yerhands....mine was like that. Im such a baby and have baby soft skin... \:o \:D

ah, through the tunnels. I thought I recognized the area. My mate lives back near that Uniqlo strip. So you aren't all that far from the jungle onsen then right? 10/15 min drive?

That's right. Nowhere's much more than a 10/15 drive in Matsuyama though. Jungle Onsen has the slipperiest goddamn floor...

Have you been to the new seaside onsen in Hojo? You can flash your foreign tackle at women walking on the beach. There's a little sign asking you not to, but it's strictly 'tatemae'. When I've been using my chin up bar, I'll be cutting an even beefier figure in the onsen.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
you must be pretty good at baiting and hookin O11!!
Yep. I sit on the stone lantern nearest the beach casually letting it dangle onto the sand. Then when a few of the innocent local girls have climbed on, I yank it up quickly and turn into a perfect gentleman.

The beachside onsen also has a saltwater bath. Don't open your mouth in there. A mouthful of salty water with dead skin off somebody else's feet is worse than just water with dead skin off somebody else's feet.

I should like to stress that I have no problems with my hands. I do not dig or otherwise harass my garden, so there are no negative effects on either my hands or my garden.

I just want a robust chin-up bar for the simple joy of hauling myself up by my arms from time to time.

That maker I linked to above doesn't ship to Japan. I suppose I could go to Alpen and ask one of their troglodytic staff...

O11: nice block-of-dirt. Interested to know how many sqm it is?

Being that close to a graveyard, glad you're into the 'no dig' method of gardening!

Looks like it may have good Feng Shui characteristics too - if ya believe in that stuff ;\)

Regarding that chin-up bar you're interested in - the ultimatechinningbar.com one:

A few years ago, at a previous job, we progressively updated a work gym in the basement, and purchased a similar designed bar that dynabolted to the besa (hollow) brick wall.

It proved very effective, particularly if it's projected far enough from the wall to allow reverse raises - feet/face don't hit the wall, etc.

Hope the ceiling heights of your new house allow you to exercise unimpeded?

The simulated rock-climbing thingy looks interesting - perhaps get both?

It's about 500 sqm.

The ceilings will indeed be high enough, and I expect to place the bar somewhere that I can swing as close to horizontal as I can get without freaking out.

What does Feng Shui have to say about placement of CHIN-UP BARS I wonder?

Nice looking plot there. My wife's father was born and raised in Hojo and used to swim out to that big rock in the background of your pictures (I forget the name of the island).

About how long will it take for the builder to raise your barn?

regarding chinning: Can't you just use a low hanging tree branch?