For those who are married or very well attached ---- do you get on with the in-laws?

I get on well with my g/f (soon to be wife)'s mother but the father is just a problem. He's a good guy but he is just so difficult to get on with and not really ready for the "foreigner invading the house" whole thing, if you know what I mean.

I find it hard to cope at times and don't want to get overly worked up as it won't benefit anyone, just create unwanted vibes. But it's difficult at times.

I get on well with my boyfriend's parents for the most part.

His mother is slightly overbearing, always asking us when we're getting married/having kids, which does tend to irritate me. We have similar personalities but different ideals, so we tend to clash every now and then.

His dad is just a total sweetheart. We get on really well.

My parents never got on with eachother's parents and most of my friends have issues with their in-laws. It's just one of those things in life that you have to file under 'character building'.

Don't let you father-in-law-to-be get to you. If you do get worked up about it you'll end up looking like the bad guy.

I'm fortunate that the house is my g/f's. The out-laws have their own living/sleeping area, and they pretty much keep to themselves. G/f is not the type to put up with any interference either, something they are well aware of.

I get on really well with the inlaws so I guess I'm really lucky.

actually, in response to your post kkk, my father-in-law has really accepted me now that we tied the knot. Up until then he wasn't sure about it. (they also worry about what their coworkers/friends/neighbours will think)

I'll try and work on it, but I'm not sure a 70 year old stuck in his ways is likely to move much on his part.

Anyway, gambarimasu and the like..

I get on really well with my in-laws! I really like hanging out with them. I've never really got any bad vibes off them. The Dad is a typical salariman, seems to have a bit of a grim life (living in a tiny flat in Tokyo while everyone else is in Nagano) and is very non-emotional, but he always spends a lot of time with me drinking beer and watching sports on tv. The mum is very genki and loves being able to visit the UK so she seems well into it!

Mine have been fine. Buff me out so much..

Only problem was certain things annoyed me when living with them for a few months, but I'll put that down to small spaces & I can't really live with my real parents for long so no diff for me.