When people ask you where you're from...

..what do you answer?

Country or town? I usually say country first, but probably because quite a few people don't know the small town I'm from.

I noticed some Japanese people say they are "from Kansai", even to other Japanese people, which seems to be a bit of a big area.

Looks like this is a people from Yokohama thread! I usually say Yokohama if I'm travelling somewhere in Japan.

If they want to know where I'm from from I go with the UK or Wales depending on how much I like the person & how much energy I have to explain what Wales is. I only tell them my town if they look like they might have a clue where it is.

I always start with The Netherlands, but most people don't have a clue.

Then move on the Holland. A lot of people have heard of this place (which officially doesn't exist since 1800). I hate Dutch people who say they are from Holland, because they are not. Maybe South-Holland or North-Holland but these merely are 2 provinces of the country. So there is no such thing as Holland (anymore).

Then I finally move one to Amsterdam. Most know the infamous reputation of that place, but still enough respond to it by saying, "oh, isn't that in Denmark?".

Then there is the thing of being Dutch, beside all the regular jokes. When I say I'm Dutch plenty of people think that I am German because they know that Germany is called Deutschland by the Germans and they speak Deutsch (which isn't Dutch).

So I either need a lot of time or end up with in an identity crisis if someone asks me where I'm from.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanno:
Maybe South-Holland or North-Holland but these merely are 2 provinces of the country. So there is no such thing as Holland (anymore).
I learned something there.

Quote:
Most know the infamous reputation of that place, but still enough respond to it by saying, "oh, isn't that in Denmark?".
lol.gif

Wasn't it me jane who posted her "map of the UK"? I remember talk of that on here and how many UKers didn't seem totally clear on it all. lol.gif

I just say I'm DAVO from Sydney if I can't be bothered explaining where I'm really from (I'm not dave by the way)

Then if i care I'll say Australia, and if they persist then Adelaide.