Serious thoughts about what to do

I have recently started to realise that my work is pretty much taking over my life more and more in a big way and the amount of fun I'm having is decreasing as a result.

I'm seriously thinking of quitting and taking a few months off, doing a reset and starting new with something completely different. The job I have now is decent but it's not something that is giving me a chance of a lifetime opportunity of anything and so I won't have much trouble finishing.

I'm just not happy with work completely taking over my life.

Good luck mate, don't let the job do that to you.... it just is not worth it.

My brother gave up a very good job to do something that paid much less - but he is enjoying life so much now. The difference I have seen in him is amazing, he is so much happier now.

I am thinking the same and currently putting the wheels in motion. Although I'm not the type to just throw it in. I tend to plan my moves and take action. If everything works out I should be doing what I want in 6 months. Although I currently work in my own company so it makes things a bit more difficult to give a weeks notice. I say as long as your financial, leave and start afresh.

Im not sure that totally jacking it is necessarily a good idea.

I dont know the details of your specific situation, but there maybe smaller changes you can make that have big effect. For example, moving much closer to work to avoid the commute, studying in your spare time to get a promotion within the same company but a different branch/department etc.

If you have a bit (or a lot) of savings, might be a great idea to just drop it. On the other hand I know someone who did that without having any real money or backup - and he's a bit of a mess now and finding it hard to get back into things.